Remote Programming

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by exsolter, Apr 11, 2005.

1. exsolter

exsolter

Hello

How do you get remote programming in to an offsite?

As we have a new site looking at coming into C-Bus and they don't want to pay for us to travel 265km to them every time they want something changed!

And also make easier on US!!!

Can you use a telephone Interface or HOW????

Thanks

Kevin
    ________
    mflb

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    exsolter, Apr 11, 2005
  2. exsolter

Richo

The answer is it depends on what you are using on site. If all you need is access to the C-Bus network as if you were plugged into a PCI locally then the C-Bus Telephone Interface (CBTI) is ideal. The speed is almost identical to using a local PCI and all the same functionality is there. The connection is passcode protected to prevent unauthorised access.

The are some quirks with the CBTI so you will want to experiment with the unit and if possible get a dedicated line. If that is not possible, then the CBTI may conflict with other device in the same line, so be ure to investigate the possibilities. If the CBTI is ONLY for remote reprogramming it is sometime easier (and most secure) to leave the unit unplugged from the phone network and have someone local plug it in when required.

Anyway it can be installed and configured in a variety of ways, so do your research.

If you need to be able to do more than just connect to the C-Bus network, for example if you have Homegate and C-gate installed on site then this more of a general remote Windows Networking issue and you local IT support center can give you a greater idea of options. However, once you are networked to the onsite PC, then C-gate can act as your gateway into the C-bus network if required. Again there are many possibilities here, including installing a CNI for direct ethernet access to the C-bus network if required.

Richo, Apr 11, 2005
  3. exsolter

Nick Mullins

Remote programming !

Hi guys,
    i have a CBTI Installed on a commercial site purley for remote interogation . I Found out the whole conflict thing and sorted it out with some technical support. The CBTI i found caused problems with the fax line because it grabs the line and picks up in three rings.from our investigations we found that in our case it is easier to leave to phone line unpluged at the CBTI and just plug it in when you need access to the network . Most clients wont pay line rental from telstra for a dedicated line for something that you use every blue moon.It also gives the client peace of mind that even if you are working out of town in my case. If theres a problem you can sort it from were you are , or at least quick toggle and get them going.Its funny that clients are scared about what will they do if the lights wont come on and you arent in the area.Just the normal techno phobias i suppose

Nick Mullins, Apr 11, 2005
  4. exsolter

exsolter

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    exsolter, Apr 11, 2005
Ask a Question