Remote Control

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Chibby, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Chibby

Richo

Aarrr ... I did misundertand. Thanks for the correction.

Richo, Mar 2, 2005
  2. Chibby

UncleDick

Beam me up Scotty

That would I guess then require the remote to have all the electronics to be an RF switch plate, uP and all - more current, bigger battery demand, bigger enclosure - 'me wee babes 'll no stand it captain'

UncleDick, Mar 3, 2005
  3. Chibby

Don

It's the battery life

The reason a wireless remote is not the same as a wall plate, is that the wall plate or plug adaptor is a transciever; it always listens for any messages in the RF medium. The protocol relies on transcievers listening to avoid lost messages due to collisions. When a message is sent, it expects a, acknowledgement from all intended receiving units. All this results in an efficient, robust protocol, but does require continuous power to the receiver in each unit.Wall plate and plug adaptors are complex and polite.

The requirements for a remote control are quire different. First priority is long battery life, and despite the showy LEDs, the design allows for very low consumption when the unit is not transmitting, which hopefullly will achieve the goal. To keep the current down, the processor goes to "sleep" when not sending codes, and the receiver is not used. They just blurt out what they have to say a couple of times and go back to sleep. Remote controls are simple and rude.

Okay. protocol sorted out. For operation in this way, you can see that the wireless remote can't be programmed with toolkit as it can't receive messages. The wireless wall plates and plug adaptors must learn the codes the remotes send, and these codes are then matched to keys, and whatever the keys are programmed to do will occur when the wireless remote signal is received.

The gateway as Ashleigh pointed out, can copy commands from a wireless network and replay it in a wired network so that any units wit hthe same application and groups can respond to commands in either medium.

Don, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Chibby

Charlie Crackle

Ahhh.. That explains everything.

I new there had to be a great reason.

Thanks DON.

Charlie Crackle, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Chibby

ashleigh Moderator

Thanks Don, thats explained better than I would have done it.

Another small factor is that a full transciver in the remote is more expensive, and I don't think customers really want to pay more...

Just to complicate the issue, there will be some additional wireless products coming (as usual, don't ask when). These will address some of the questions and issues that have been raised. I'm not going to tell you exactly what they will do though (or I'll have to shoot you).

Rest assured we are listening and there are things coming to fill some of the perceived gaps.

ashleigh, Mar 3, 2005
  6. Chibby

martymonster

Just like to thank you guys for the feedback and info that we get from you all.
    Keep it up.

Martin

martymonster, Mar 3, 2005
  7. Chibby

brj

Hi guys wondering if there was any progress either on the new product front or the updated version of toolkit that uncovered those little "virtual" thingames mentioned earlier in the thread?

Cheers:D

brj, Aug 7, 2006
  8. Chibby

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi brj,

Yes, Toolkit 1.4.0 exposes 10 virtual groups on the wireless plug adaptor which are accessible from the remote control.

Check out the tutorial on Wireless Virtual Keys

Cheers,
    Daniel

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
    daniel, Aug 8, 2006
Ask a Question