Remote Control

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Chibby, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Chibby

Chibby

Today is all about remote contol, I have a couple of questions about the new produces. (1) The new DLT switches, will they have remote control capability on future models? or is their another way to control them via remote. (2) The new wireless remote is a great product. Via the wireless gateway can i interface with a wired system? The trouble with IR is that you need to get up to point it to the switch, quite often this is at the other end of the room.
    The best option is to have a wireless remote contol that via the gateway can talk to a wired system, that way you can switch any light on from the comfort of the lounge.

Chibby, Feb 21, 2005
  2. Chibby

Newman

No plans for that at this stage.

Yes, can, but not directly. You will need a wireless plug adaptor or wall switch so that you can assign a group address for the wireless remote to control. The remote does not talk to a Gateway directly. Once this is done then the Gateway will relay the required info out onto the Wired network.

Newman, Feb 21, 2005
  3. Chibby

Nathan

I agree it would be great to have the Gateway set up as a direct link to the group address as this is a long winded way to get control of a group address on the wired network.You basically have to get a six gang wireless switch stuck in a cupboard to act as an interface to get you 6 channels as I belive plug pack will get you one (unless you want to wire some of your house standard mains wiring and have chosen a wireless style switch for other areas of your project). To me thats like using low level inputing and isnt that what integration is all about removing clunky additional paths to allow seemless control. I have asked this question before to other Cis reps due to customer request and would love to see this perhaps put on the to do list if possible. Another device would be a key fob style wireless remote (like a keyring type) that would interface with the gateway and have prox card built in for remote garage door contact opening and prox read access (As read in Homesafe release prox interface) now that would be lovely thought and Im sure it would sell.

Nathan, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Chibby

ashleigh Moderator

Its on the to-do list. Don't ask when.

No plans for anything like this.

ashleigh, Feb 22, 2005
  5. Chibby

Peter_L

RFID remote

I work for a company called Axeze and we make a range of RFID products that would be perfect for solving this problem

Our network access control system has a high level interface to C-Bus which has been tested by CIS and is C-Bus enabled. This system would enable you to open the front door or the garage door using any 26bit wiegand wireless remote, RFID card or biometric reader and will send pre programmed C-Bus messages to trigger any scene, or turn on, off, ramp any group address across most C-Bus applications.

Using this system you could install multiple readers around the house not connected to any doors at all just there to read a button press of a key ring fob. This set up would enable you to use wireless key fobs anywhere in the house to send C-Bus messages. Think about a wireless key fob to turn on your spa or fountain or turn off all the lights in your house. You could to do away with messy low-level inputs and program up to 100 event driven C-Bus messages based on which button was pressed or other inputs to the Axeze system

Check it out at http://www.axeze.com.au/default.aspx?pageid=AUI

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
    Peter_L, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Chibby

Nathan

Hi Peter

Your product looks good I recall using it a long time ago. I'm doing my own house at the moment with two prox access points with strikes and would like to control another 8 cbus groups (garage door, Water feature, strikes and driveway lights etc) with a remote or air/key what do you recommend and where can purchase this product.

regards

Nathan, Feb 23, 2005
  7. Chibby

Peter_L

There are lots of long read range systems it really depends on your budget and the read range you were after. Other forum members may be able to help you out better then I could. I would post a message in the Access Control section of this forum see what people recommend.

Go for a system that has some sort of rolling code and encryption method especially if you are using it on your door. The reader must have a 26bit wiegand output to work with the Axeze system.

As for the Axeze system and c-bus interface, send me an e-mail or private message to me with your location and requirements and I will be able to help you myself.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
    Peter_L, Feb 23, 2005
  8. Chibby

Charlie Crackle

I thaught I read in a previous thread that the wireless wall plates could not be repeaters. are you saying that the wireless remote talks to the wireless wall plate which talks to the wireless gateway ??

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Feb 24, 2005
  9. Chibby

Newman

In a fashion I guess, but that only applies to the Wireless Remote. The Wireless wall plates do not work as repeaters as such. The commands that come from the remote control are quite different from those produced by other wireless units.

Key press events are transmitted by the remote control. If this translates to a C-Bus action on a Group Address in a wall switch then that wall switch will then transmit the C-Bus information onto the Wireless Network.

If the Wireless Gateway is configured to transfer Group info from the Wireless to Wired networks then that info will be passed across and wired C-Bus units will respond.

The wireless remote can not talk directly to a gateway.

Newman, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Chibby

Chibby

Remote wireless

So at the moment to use the wireless remote to control a wired system you need to install say an 8 gang wirless switch and a gateway? Is it correct that an 8 key wireless switch has 2 channels via the 4 top buttons and the 4 bottom buttons are spare to control 4 more functions? So there is a total of 6 functions per 8 gang switch and does this switch need to have the 2 outputs wired to the 240v channels it is to control, or does it just need the 240v to power up the switch? After writing this it may be easier to wait for a gateway that can talk directly to a wired system. Any idea at all when this may be available?

Chibby, Mar 1, 2005
  11. Chibby

Charlie Crackle

Does it have to be a Wall Plate..... Can you get away with a PLUG in DIMMER on a LAMP

IE Wireless remote--> Plugin-Dimmer ---> Cbus Wirless gateway -->CBUS wired DIMMER

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Mar 1, 2005
  12. Chibby

ashleigh Moderator

Yes, it can be any wireless unit thats used for load control.

ashleigh, Mar 1, 2005
  13. Chibby

Chibby

With the plug in dimmer/switch is it correct that it will only control 1 function or circuit of lighting in a wired system?

Chibby, Mar 1, 2005
  14. Chibby

martymonster

Wireless, remote and wired

Can I just get clarification on how these interact?
    From reading this thread, this is how I understand how it works.

A few wireless wall plates and or plug adapters are added to a wired system. A wireless gateway is also added to connect the 2 networks.

A Wired network has an address that turns on the kitchen light.
    The wireless network has a wall plate switch that is configured to turn on the same kitchen light by configuring it to the same address as the wired network.

If I press the wireless switch (button on wall plate) that is configured to turn on the kitchen light, nothing happens as it only sends the signal to other wireless components.

If I use the remote which is configured to talk to the wireless wall plate switch, it sends a command to the wall plate which then sends a command which is picked up by the gateway and transferred to the wired network which then turns on the kitchen light.

If this is so, then a remote control is the only way to send a signal from a wireless network to a wired network.

The other side is sending a signal from a wired network to a wireless network.

How does this work?
    A wireless wall plate is used in a bedroom.
    A wired network switch/button is programmed to the same address and the wireless bedroom unit.
    I press the button on the wired network to turn on the wireless bedroom light.
    Does it send a signal to the gateway which then sends a signal which is picked up by the wireless unit that is programmed to the same address?

Martin

martymonster, Mar 1, 2005
  15. Chibby

ashleigh Moderator

Arrgghhh too much detail.

Cbus Wireless units form a network.

You can put in a gateway which functionally is just the same as a bridge. If the wireless side is set to "forward messages to other side" (also known as Connect mode) then all traffic is sent to the wired side.

This is how gateways are shipped.

So... if you have the same group address on both sides they will become equivalent. One side controls the other and vice versa.

Now, the remote.

The RF remote is the equivalent of pressing buttons ON AN RF DEVICE, like using a big long stick.

If the button you pressed with the big long stick has a group associated thats the same as the group on the wired side (and you have a gateway) then the remote will indirectly control loads on the wired side.

The plug adaptor has only a two groups available RIGHT NOW (if you assign each button to a separate group). Theres actually more in available in it, but first release Toolkit does not give access. (And before complaining, give us break, hey?) A release of Toolkit coming out very soon will allow use of "virtual" buttons that are not actually present on the unit.

Just don't ask when this will be released, please.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
    ashleigh, Mar 2, 2005
  16. Chibby

MikeW

Just for fun, you can program your wireless 8 key neo with the same group addresses that exist on your wired network. The group address in the output of the 8 key neo can be some address that is completely different. Program 8 of the buttons on the remote to the 8 buttons on the wireless neo.
    Now you have 8 groups on a wired network that can be controlled by a RF remote! Not the prettiest way, but it works as long as you have the wireless gateway set up properly.

MikeW, Mar 2, 2005
  17. Chibby

martymonster

Thanks Ashleigh.

Just waiting for Rexel Melbourne to get my Plug adapter and remote in (waiting 2 weeks now :(
    Then get a wireless gateway, cni and some wireless Saturn wall plates :D etc etc

Martin

martymonster, Mar 2, 2005
  18. Chibby

Charlie Crackle

OK the remote has 10 Buttons (5 with shift)
    So I assume this would require 10 Virtual buttons. Or will this be 2 real and 8 virtual
    I assume all off means ALL 10 Buttons OFF

Do the wall plates have 8 real and 2 virtual ?? I can not remember seeing a 10 button Neo.

I can understand how you have done this.... Can you please explain why ??

Why was the remote no designed as a just a battery operated wall plate?
    This would have given MUCH greater flexability

What was the reasoning behind making it function like a standard wired NEO with a IR remote. I would have design cost would have been less just using existing wireless NEO design and making battery powered. (unless this design eats batteries)

Now if this is possible then I can understand your reasoning...

In the wired world you can take your IR remote in any room point at your neo and control what ever light the NEO in that room controls

In the wireless world if you take your wireless remote to another room my understanding is it is till bound to the NEO that it was PAIRED to (LEARNED) (this is where I may need to be corrected)
    Or am I wrong and it will control the lights the WIRELESS NEO in at room controls.

I was hoping to sell a wireless remote and a wireless gateway to installations that were a C2000 wall plate installs to give the walk around the house contol of 10 Lights. Any plans to bring out a wireless NEO ! (IE programmable like a wireless neo)

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Mar 2, 2005
  19. Chibby

Richo

Actually the WIRELESS range of products have 16 keys total. Why? For some awesome new features that will be released with an updated Toolkit in the future. George is working hard on adding it as I type.

Hardware guys would have to answer this one. Although I like my remotes to resemble remotes and be contoured to fit my hand. A detachable wall plate has benefits, but it is not the same as a remote. Both would have there place.

The WIRELESS remote is a little more flexable than you suggest. With wired NEO the remote (IR) can only control the remote within immediate range. With WIRLESS the remote can be linked to multiple wallplates thorughoout the house ... not just one wallplate. So the each of the 10 keys could control a different room, from anywhere.

There are benefits for each approach I guess.

To have WIRELESS behave like wired NEO would require using a line of sight transmission like IR (which is what wired NEO uses). I believe adding IR to the WIRELESS range would have pushed the power consumption over the edge of what could be drawn from the piggy backing on the lighting circuits. But the Hardware Guys would need to comment more on that.

Richo, Mar 2, 2005
  20. Chibby

znelbok

I think you misunderstood what charlie was getting at. I think he was saying that he want the remote to act just like a wall plate, and not have to be paired to a switch - hence it becomes a portable battery operated swith (in a remote control case) in its own right. This allows for any 10 lights (that may be on different wall plates) to be switched wirelessly

This keeps the hardware side down too, a gateway and a remote as a minimum- I would be in for one if that were the case.

Mick

znelbok, Mar 2, 2005
Ask a Question