Remote access to WISER via iphone app

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by wappinghigh, May 27, 2010.

1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

I can log on fine via wifi onto my wiser @ 192.168.0.66:80

but I am having trouble configuring remote access via WAN and my dyndns.com domain

I'm using the standard WISER port 8080 for remote access
    What are the port forward settings for an apple airport extreme for this? Anything specific? and do what remote settings on the wiser do I need to check.

THX! :)

wappinghigh, May 27, 2010
  2. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

Welcome back wappinghigh.

The iPhone app doesn't require anything other than the same functionality exposed to the Adobe Flash UI when used remotely. I would check the following things:
    a) does remote access to your Wiser work when using the Adobe Flash UI. If yes, then your iPhone will work fine as well.
    b) if remote access via the Adobe Flash UI does not work, then you'll want to check at least the following settings:
    - that port 8888 and 8889 from your external endpoint router (if it is a 3rd party router like airport) is being forwarded to the Wiser's internal IP and that the Wiser's (in this scenario being set to a LAN device) gateway is set to the 3rd party router's internal IP.

If it helps, you may want to read the following post that talks in a more detailed way about the different kinds of IP setups that are possible:
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26187&postcount=5

kjayakumar, May 29, 2010
  3. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks!

It was the ports 8888, 8889 that I was missing. Thanks...that did the trick. All sorted. :)

wappinghigh, May 30, 2010
  4. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Vpn

Actually KJ I have another question. I've read over your links..How secure is this set up? Is there any way to add to security other than using the WISER password? Somehow just a feeble password doesn't seem secure enough between the cbus brains of my house and the big wide world! Is there any way to set 3G access up using a VPN?

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
    wappinghigh, May 30, 2010
  5. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Actually it's not completely sorted...

OK. I only have telstra cable. Dynamic IP. When I enter the actual WAN address xx.xxx.x.xxx I can log on fine. But when I use my dyndns domain name I can't. I'm entering the WAN Wiser IP as "mydyndns.is-a-name.com:8080" I get error 502 "Bad Gateway"

I've tried www.mydyndns.is-a-name.com:8080 and this doesn't work either. I get error NSUnknownErrorDomain Error 8

I know the dyndns domain name is working OK becuase I can access my video server remotely using 3G just fine..

Can anybody from CIS help me out with the log in settings here...?:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
    wappinghigh, May 31, 2010
  6. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

You've noted that your dyndns domain is working fine. But then you're unable to access port 8080 on that domain, but you are able to access it at that same time via its IP address? Those observations don't seem to fit together to me. I'd try the following to debug it:
    - start shell/command prompt
    - nslookup your_dyndns_name
    - check that you are getting the same ip that you expect
    - try putting your video server on 8080 to test whether that works

kjayakumar, Jun 1, 2010
  7. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

The Wiser is protected using only the Wiser password. There's always a tradeoff between security and ease-of-use/functionality. You can setup a VPN, and if you do that you'll have increased the security but most mobile devices won't be able to support full VPN functionality. If your device is able to, then that's great, you'll be able to just use your Wiser as if it is a LAN device once you're on a VPN.

kjayakumar, Jun 1, 2010
  8. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

OK... Now it's getting weird!

Thanks for help. I've checked dyndns...it produces the same IP...All good.

No real problem. I'll just continue to use the actual WAN (not the DYNDNS domain name) Colin has been a fantastic help (via private message) Looks like the answer is I can't use dyndns because I have my WISER set up networked as "option B"....(I use an airport extreme as my router)

But what's really weird is that I can log in from my iphone over Telstra 3G using a direct WAN, BUT I can't from my ipad: USING THE VERY SAME settings and same WISER app! Go figure!

Nobody should assume this remote access your networked home stuff is easy...(and YES, I've been trying to get a static IP from Telstra cable for years...)....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
    wappinghigh, Jun 1, 2010
  9. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

I still don't understand exactly what you're saying. I think you have dyndns (done via your 3rd party router) and not done through your Wiser. That is fine. I think you are also saying that dyndns is working in the sense that it is translating your name to the correct IP. So that is all good. So, then Wiser will work as well and it doesn't care if it is in LAN mode or router mode (That only matters if you're trying to use your Wiser itself as the dyndns client in LAN mode, which you are not trying to do, at least based on my reading of your postings). We have many setups where a Wiser is a LAN device and a 3rd party router does the dyndns work and they work fine. So, if the dyndns name is not working in your case with Wiser, then at least one of the statements above can't be accurate.

kjayakumar, Jun 2, 2010
  10. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

thx

Through trial and error I've sorted it.

I switched to using tzo.com
    this gave me a domain name without using "-"
    I included port 80 (as well as 8080,8888,8880) in the Airport Extreme port forward settings..leaving the WISER settings at 8080

so I can now log on via LAN using xxx.xxx.x.xxx:80
    and 3G www.mydomain.example.com:80

Thanks for help KJ!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
    wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2010
  11. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

Ok. Does the browser based Adobe Flash UI work for you using the dns name from a remote connection, like 3G or otherwise? If so, then that would identify the issue specifically as having to do with the iPhone app and if not, then that would indicate a configuration problem.

Also, 8880 isn't a port used by Wiser, I assume you meant to do 8889.

kjayakumar, Jun 3, 2010
  12. wappinghigh

ChrisCIS

Remote Access to Wiser

Hi Guys,

So i finally got around to setting up remote access to the wiser.

I am behind a linksys router, which i must say are great. they have a new range of "end user" routers that basically have some cisco treats in them.

after setting up dyndns and entering the login information into the linksys, i programmed the wiser as strictly a LAN device connected via ethernet to my linksys router.

Port forwarded TCP/8889, TCP/8888 and TCP/80 to the local address of my wiser. and away we go!!

It is important that the above ports are forwarded, also 8336 and 8337 to transefer projects remotely to the wiser home controller.

So all in all it is working great, i believe this is the best option for setup as it is just an access point to C-Bus.

I would like to be able to change the default "Admin" username as it would be somewhat more secure...

apart from that im pretty pleased with it all and look forward till we release more features into the wiser app.

ChrisCIS, Jun 11, 2010
Ask a Question