Relay's status doesn't match group or lamp indicators

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by KevinH, Jul 3, 2011.

1. KevinH

KevinH

This morning most aspects of the home automation had failed. All my low voltage 12V / 5V supplies are 230V switched via C-Bus relays , so that I can reset them should I need. These are on 24/7 normally and nothing I have programmed can turn them off.... but they were all off.. and yet the indicators on the relay module for those channels were on.

There were no flashing lights on the relay module and I held a channel button in to ensure it was matched to the current group states - nothing changed state. Yet on two channels showing on by the indicators the relay was definitely off. One press turned the light off , no click, and a second press turned it on with a click from the relay. This was on two different channels.

What could the difference be here between the indicators and the relay states that might cause this ? Could it be to do with levels perhaps ?

Here's a little more interesting info:

If I look in Toolkit then these groups are showing OFF even though they are now ON and there are no lights flashing on the relay to show it is in override. Nothing I have programmed can turn these groups off , yet they were off this morning. The indicators on the relay module were correct however (on).

I also have another piece of kit that displays status based on fully decoding the MMI information and it has not picked up any of these relay channels. I can fully interrogate the relay from Toolkit though.

I haven't changed the group states yet to see what the relay does as I'm trying to preserve the network in this inconsistent state in case there's something else I should look at. I have no key input units on these groups (to avoid them being turned off accidently) so I can't see what those indicators might show. I could add one though if that's useful.

Kevin

PS I added two key inputs for these groups, they show status ON , although the C-Bus Toolkit status still shows off. I have seen other comments that the C-Bus Toolkit group status display is not to be depended upon - does it only track changes or does it get it's status from C-Gate which I assume uses MMI's (in which case it's wrong) ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011
    KevinH, Jul 3, 2011
  2. KevinH

NickD Moderator

It's odd that the indicator state doesn't match the relay state.

This could theoretically happen if the unit is subjected to physical shocks as the relays are latching types, but this would seem fairly unlikely. Extreme electrical interference could theoretically cause this too, even though all the C-Bus products are designed and tested to exceed the performance required by the EMC immunity standards, even the limits in the standards are occasionally exceeded in the real world, but I'm not aware of it happening before.

How old is the unit?

As far as the group state you see in Toolkit goes - it will only show state based on events C-Gate has seen since Toolkit connected.

Nick

NickD, Jul 4, 2011
  3. KevinH

KevinH

Manufactured Feb 2005 firmware v 1.3.0. The relays will have had almost zero usage so I don't expect they're mechanically worn. There wasn't any mechanical stress (they changed state at 2.55am, all asleep), and nothing else seemed to have suffered electrically.
    I'll put this down to a one off.....
    Ahh , that'll explain the state discrepencies there ... sounds like something that might be worth adding to the wishlist though ?

K

KevinH, Jul 4, 2011
Ask a Question