Relay unit scanning in Toolkit as 8ch when in fact a 12ch Unit.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by ampcom, May 30, 2018.

1. ampcom

ampcom

Hello,

I just had a customer contact me regarding a problem in Toolkit with regards to a 12Ch Unit when scanned by Toolkit comes up as an 8Ch unit.

Customers explanation:-
    "I have identified a problem with one of the relay units, which is identified as an 8 relay unit in the database but is in fact a 12 relay unit. The configuration as an 8 relay unit is causing me problems in being able to switch specific relays on. I have attempted to change it to a 12 relay unit however each time a scan is done it reverts to an 8 relay unit. I’m unsure if this is a hardware malfunction and the unit needs to be swapped out? Or maybe it’s a firmware problem?"

I haven't attended onsite yet, but thought to post it on this forum as someone may be able to provide some info before I attend.

Thank you,
    Philip

ampcom, May 30, 2018
  2. ampcom

jboer

mmm sounds like it needs to be a warranty job. Unfortunately I have had similar issues with other devices and they have to get returned. Usually its CPU came out of the wrong bucket at manufacture and didnt get picked up at QC

jboer, May 30, 2018
  3. ampcom

ampcom

Cheers JB.
    Much appreciate your response.

ampcom, May 30, 2018
  4. ampcom

NickD Moderator

Sounds like the unit has either not been properly configured in the factory or the configuration has been corrupted (both unusual but not impossible).

Is it a new unit? Where did it come from/when was it purchased? Can you give me a serial number?

Nick

NickD, May 31, 2018
  5. ampcom

ampcom

Thanks Nick for your response. Much appreciated.

It was a new unit, installed by the electrician.
    Supplied in Sydney NSW.
    Purchased by the electrician approx 6-8 months ago.
    Part: L5512RVF
    Serial Number: 001010252686
    Firmware: 2.7.00
    L5512RVF_Serial No.JPG

L5512RVF_Serial No_Toolkit.JPG

The electrician has been informed and he said he will arrange a replacement unit (under warranty) including its installation.

Thank you.
    Philip

ampcom, Jun 1, 2018
  6. ampcom

Roosta

Had the same issue a few weeks ago with a new supplied unit in southern NSW.. physically a 12ch unit but had 8ch firmware/gui..

Sent back to wholesaler and back to clipsal.. Pity it cost time in diagnosing issue and swapping units out and meant not completing the job on time for the customer..

Roosta, Jun 1, 2018
  7. ampcom

NickD Moderator

I raised this with the quality guys here... they have informed me that they are aware of the issue. The problem was identified in August 2017, and the root cause has been identified and corrective an preventative actions have been taken.

A small number of units were affected. They did a recall from the distribution centres for the affected production dates and serial numbers, but a number had already been sold and could not be traced further.

I've confirmed that the serial number above was on the list, so it sounds like you guys were unlucky enough to get units that were sold before they could be recalled... sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope at least this gives you confidence that the issue is not widespread.

Nick

NickD, Jun 4, 2018
  8. ampcom

ampcom

Thanks Roosta & Nick for your responses.
    Good to know it was a problem identified.
    Yes Roosta, that's one of the "cons" with CBUS, any hardware that is replaced requires reprogramming and usually additional site visits.

Cheers,
    Philip

ampcom, Jun 5, 2018
Ask a Question