Relay unit outside in the UK?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by NickLocke, Apr 24, 2012.

1. NickLocke

NickLocke

Thinking of an 8 or 12 channel voltage free relay at the far end of the garden. That implies a waterproof box and appropriately protected runs of mains and C-Bus cable. So far so good.

But what about temperature? Is the relay unit going to survive a UK winter?

NickLocke, Apr 24, 2012
  2. NickLocke

Aaron

Hi Nick,

I have a relay unit, dimmer and aux input in a box down by the gate (end of garden/drive) I put a stainless steel box inside a larger polycarb box (just to make sure it all stays dry). All quite big but other things go on in there :)
    I did fit an anti condensation heater and thermostat for the colder damp days.

been there for about 5 years now and everything still works a treat.

HTH, Aaron

Aaron, Apr 24, 2012
  3. NickLocke

tobex

Is it not practical to put undergrounds wires ? You only need one earth and neutral. If you installed a construction cable it comes with multiple active wires and is tough as nails.

tobex, Apr 25, 2012
  4. NickLocke

NickLocke

Thanks Aaron - useful info, and sounds promising.

Thanks Tobex - an alternative solution which has made me think that I could use multi-core cable as you have suggested and potentially use some spare channels on existing relays and save some cash too.

I've never seen cable in the UK with more than two live, one neutral and one earth (designed for two way light switching and used in my installation for controlling units containing both a light and a fan). Obviously that's not enough live conductors; it's also not armoured for outside use. That said, i'm probably not looking in the right places for the stuff.

Clues on cable sources in the UK, anyone?

Thanks,

Nick

NickLocke, Apr 26, 2012
  5. NickLocke

Aaron

Hi Nick,

Most Good Electrical Wholesalers (CEF, Neweys, Senate) will be able to get you a multi-core armoured cable, their usually 1.5 or 2.5mm depending on volt-drops etc..
    Clevland Cable/Anixter are cable distributers, but you'll need an account.

cable like this maybe;

http://www.clevelandcable.com/products.asp?id=1297&step=2&catid=20

multicore cable like this, is usually white cores with numbers

One thing to watch out for though is the 'common' neutral has to be from the same source (MCB/RCBO), as borrowing a neutral is very bad practice and a code 1 fault during an inspection (requires immediate attention).
    if you've got a dimmer on one MCB and a relay output on another MCB, then they must use their own neutrals - hope that makes sense...

HTH, Aaron :)

Aaron, Apr 26, 2012
Ask a Question