Relay Logic Assignments - Not Enough?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ss1987, Apr 16, 2022.

1. ss1987

ss1987

Hi all (again),
    Having a bit of a play around with a project in toolkit, my aim was to have a few sensors with manual override switches for certain areas i.e. bathroom lights. The basic way I understood this was to use the logic tab in the relay and add a GA for the switched light group, and another for the sensor light group and set it to 'OR' so either the PIR or the switch would activate the light.

I've quickly discovered this won't work for the amount of areas I was hoping to apply this for. There are only 4 spots per relay to assign logic, and one light ends up taking 2 spots, I can only do 2 manual override switches via logic per relay.

Is there a better way of doing this?

ss1987, Apr 16, 2022
  2. ss1987

Wonkey

Simple idea use the enable disable group in the PIR, use the same GA address as for controlling the light and in the Key input.
    You will get a warning but if its only for 1 PIR per GA you should be OK.
    A PIR cannot disable itself the command has to come from somewhere else.
    Select the disable radio button.
    When you press the Key input to turn the light on the PIR will be disabled and when you when you turn it off the PIR will be enabled.
    Suggest using a timer on a longer period say 90 min in the Key input in case the input is not switched off.

Problems that may occur depending on where the PIR and Key input are is the PIR may detect you before you switch the light on, so now you turn the light off when you press the input.
    Or as you turn the light off the PIR detects you and puts the light back on.
    So if the Key input is out of sight of the PIR this works fine.
    You may be able to use a combination of output logic on PIR that are in view of the Key input and this idea on the others.

Another suggestion but not my favourite set you Key input like this (Group would be the relevant group)
    upload_2022-4-16_15-10-22.png
    Ensure recall 1 is set to 100% and the time period set on the global tab ramps 2 timer suggest 4 sec
    what will happen is a short press will turn the light on or just keep it on and a long press (greater than 400ms as a default) will turn the indicator off and 4 sec later the light will go off and the PIR will be enabled

If you have a logic engine in a device such as a SHAC, Wiser, Touch screen then you could use the smart in that.

Attached Files:

Wonkey, Apr 16, 2022
  3. ss1987

ss1987

Thanks for the response :)
    I like the first idea of using the enable disable group. When you say to use the timer on the key input, is that just the timer function i.e instead of the default on/off? That seems like a good idea for kids bedrooms also who may leave the room without switching lights off.

ss1987, Apr 16, 2022
  4. ss1987

Wonkey

Yes use the toogle timer feature

Wonkey, Apr 16, 2022
  5. ss1987

Ashley

Why are you using 2 slots for this. Normally you put the switch ga in the main key group drop down and the PIR ga in one logic slot then select the check box corresponding to the key group . This allows you to do 4 lights per unit.

Ashley, Apr 16, 2022
  6. ss1987

ss1987

Ahh I see. I wrongly assumed you needed to put all groups in there. Since you need to use the AND/OR logic to compare them. But if that's not the case it opens up more options. Thanks!

ss1987, Apr 16, 2022
  7. ss1987

ss1987

Just bumping this thread to build upon my initial question... I have strip lighting in my bathrooms/pantry/laundry which I intend to control with a PIR. I also have a button which can control these manually. Is it possible to setup a long press on the physical switch which will disable the PIR, then continue to use the button short press to control the light manually? Therefore, each PIR can easily be disabled if the occupants of don't want to use them?

ss1987, Aug 11, 2023
  8. ss1987

Ashley

To do this you need to control 2 GA's with one switch. You can do this using 2 blocks, but a key has only one set of micro functions which trigger both blocks equally, so what you want is not possible. You need a logic unit for this type of use. However, from a usability viewpoint I would not recommend this as there would be no way of showing whether the PIR was disabled or not.

Ashley, Aug 13, 2023
  9. ss1987

ss1987

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if this was possible so thanks for confirming. As a workaround I've used some of the edlts in the home and added some keys to disable each bathroom PIR if required.

ss1987, Aug 13, 2023
Ask a Question