Relay Level Scaling

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by IRQ, Feb 22, 2006.

1. IRQ

IRQ

Can a relay be set on a level, Max or Min?
    Can be programmed to scheduled to have Max level depending on time?

IRQ, Feb 22, 2006
  2. IRQ

Josh

As far as control of the load, the relay has only two states, ON or OFF. Which in theory means level 0 will be OFF and any level from 1 to 255 will be ON. Input devices can set any level, but the load will be turned off when the level hits 0 and turned ON again when the level is higher than 0.

Josh, Feb 22, 2006
  3. IRQ

NickD Moderator

I think we're all a bit confused by this one... can you clarify your question?

As Josh says, a relay can only have 2 *output* levels. It can however be configured to switch at different group address levels... is this what you're getting at?

Or perhaps you meant to say dimmer rather than relay?

Nick

NickD, Feb 22, 2006
  4. IRQ

Nobes

In the atributes of a relay in toolkit, you can set a turn on level for a channel. This however is related to the group controlling it. If you are trying to get a channel to turn on or off when a group reaches 'x' level (where 'x' may be different due to what time of day it is) , perhaps you should look at a PAC with logic.

What is it you are trying to achieve?

Nobes, Feb 22, 2006
  5. IRQ

IRQ

Sorry for delay...

NickD, I mean, I want the light to be less bright then full, as for dimmer I can setup to be 80% max, I wonder if there is any why we could make the light less the full powered with relays.

I think I remember during C-Bus course the instructor, demonstrate a situation when the light on the relay was starting gradually, but I cannot remember how it was done.

IRQ, Feb 26, 2006
  6. IRQ

PSC

IRQ,

Are you serious?

It's a relay...

It's either ON, or it's OFF.

If you do find a way to dim a relay can please let us all know :cool:

PSC, Feb 26, 2006
  7. IRQ

eha002

I know this is a Major Necro post, but No your relay will not turn your light on gradually.

However is you want a Relay switched light to be 80% or Off, you can just wire that light through a Regular rotary dimmer mech hidden at switchboard on in a robe/linen cupboard.
    This allows you to decide what level to have the light at if needed, but only allows on and off control from CBUS.

also prior to cbus fan controllers (or if your client doesnt want to pay for a fan controller because they have a spare channel on their 12ch relay), we would put the fan controller hidden away, and just have relay control over the cbus.

eha002, Mar 13, 2020
Ask a Question