Relay controller for garage door

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by froop, May 14, 2008.

1. froop

froop

I've got my garage door opener (brand is Merlin, can't remember the model) connected to an output of one of my 12ch relays, so the push of a button will alternately open and close the garage door. Works a charm.

I'm just a bit nervous about the security of it. A couple of times after a power fail, that switch hasn't worked, until I pressed the toggle button on the relay itself, and then its all good. So my concern is around the possibility of the relay toggling state on a powerfail/restore, and opening my garage door. Especially if I'm not at home, or even worse away on holidays.

Is my concern unfounded?

froop, May 14, 2008
  2. froop

znelbok

I have set up my in-laws garage door that way and have never had any issues after power failures.

We have never had to press the local toggle button to "get it going" again, so I wonder if there is something else that may be the problem with your relay.

If you do have concerns you could run two relay channels in series (even on different relays) so that both have to close to activate the door, The chances of both doing something funny at the same time is less likely.

Mick

znelbok, May 15, 2008
  3. froop

froop

Mine's been set up for close to 6 months without issue, but it only needs to happen once :)

I hadn't thought of running two relay channels in series. And from memory I think that the channel right next to the garage door controller is actually free.

And following that line of thought, I could use the first relay as a "lock" of sorts. So it stays closed most of the time, but when I hit the "goodbye" button on my way out of the front door it opens up, essentially locking the switch in the garage. But if I don't press the "hello" button when I walk in (eg, during the day) it'll be a pain when I do want to open the garage door. (I don't use the garage every day - its access to a rear lane where I keep the boat).

Or maybe I'm just over complicating matters and its fine just as it is :D

froop, May 15, 2008
  4. froop

abg

Just wondered on this as I am setting mine up at the moment (I think it is a B&D controller). Does pressing a button linked to this channel just act as a toggle on the motor controller (ie: opening/stop/closing). Is there any chance of damage if the button is pressed again before the door has fully closed/opened?

Would a garage door be better controlled via a shutter relay or is that overkill?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
    abg, Sep 13, 2008
  5. froop

______.

I think it's a bit of over killl running it via a shutter realy. I have only ever used a normal relay and never had any problems.
    I have been told that if you do stop/reverse the door when it's not fully open/closed it can do damage to the door spring. But in saying that you can do it with the door remote anyway so i can't do to much damage. I always just tell the client not to do it.

As to the concern in the door opening if you're away. You could run a relay in series out of your alarm system which is ON when disarmed and OFF when armed. That way the door can ONLY open if the house is disarmed. ;)

______., Sep 13, 2008
  6. froop

Guff

Restrike delay of 10seconds might do the job ;)

Guff, Sep 14, 2008
  7. froop

ICS-GS

I have actually done something similar, and used two contacts in series, however one is a normally closed contact and one is normally open.

That way if the remote 'all on' (brown pair in the c-bus cable i think) is shorted out and all channels turn ON nothing will hapen, to get the door to open you have to have one channel energised and one de-energised.

BTW the normally closed contact is actually off a 4 pole relay that is energised when the security system is armed, i use it for a few things that relate to access to the property.

HTH

Grant

ICS-GS, Sep 14, 2008
  8. froop

samala

Could u plz elaborate the process of connecting the gate controller to relay.

samala, Sep 15, 2008
  9. froop

samala

can anyone tell me how would be the connections from gate controller(Motor) to the relay or Change over relay.

Is it similar to what we do for curtains and blinds.

Need the solution very urgently as i had to propose at one of project.

any help in this regard is appreciated

samala, Nov 21, 2008
  10. froop

znelbok

depends on the controller.

Most have a common and an OSC (Open/stop/close). A momentary connection between common and OSC will drive the motor in the opposite direction to its last movement.

Use a relay with a 1 second timer to get it to work.

Mick

znelbok, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question