Reed switches: what do I need to consider?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by P_R, Apr 16, 2018.

1. P_R

P_R

Hi,
    This might be a very simple answer, I am getting a 5102BCLEDL 2 channel bus coupler. What I need is a suitable reed switch to connect to it so that I can use the reed switch to tell me when a door is open. The door has a shutter above it, so I want to disable the shutter from going down if the door is open.

Aside from how they work, I know nothing about reed switches. Any better than others? Things to consider?

I am guess the unit will pop up in Toolkit and I just go from there in terms of programming?

Thank you for any help.

Cheers,

P_R.

P_R, Apr 16, 2018
  2. P_R

Ashley

Any reed switch will work with the bus coupler. Just pick the one that is easiest to install for your particular application.

More importantly, the bus coupler has a lead length limitation of 1 metre per connection, so you will need to locate it near the reed switch.

Ashley, Apr 16, 2018
  3. P_R

P_R

Thank you!

P_R, Apr 16, 2018
  4. P_R

bmerrick

bmerrick, Apr 19, 2018
  5. P_R

poldim

I have a Reed switch sensing my garage door position. It's wired with a single pair of cat6 cable because I had an extra spool. Wiring runs about 30 feet along the garage wall. Works great, but ymmv.

poldim, May 1, 2018
  6. P_R

P_R

Well I never considered that, but maybe that's a new project. My garage is not c-bus connected, but that does not stop me monitoring it with a similar switch.

P_R, May 2, 2018
Ask a Question