Recent spammers

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by admin_vb, Jun 15, 2013.

1. admin_vb

admin_vb On Holiday

I say chaps! I'm on holiday (some people live the life of leisure but it has to be done by somebody old bean, and I decided it might as well be me!).

Anyhoo... There have been a few recent spam attacks and some of you have complained long and loud.

So I check a few logs and settings: This forum does use a capcha for new users (thank you to those who suggested it - already done), and it also uses a plugin that checks new users against a database of spammers. That check is by IP address and username.

In the last few days we have suffered 3 dastardly spammers who loaded up nearly 1000 posts.

BUT WE HAD ABOUT 200 ATTEMPTS TO CREATE SPAMMER ACCOUNTS - and that's only the last 3 days. Checking more than that caused my very low boredom threshold to be crossed.

Obviously the spam protections systems are not perfect but they do seem to be going a long way to protecting us from the evil-doers.

So after that little clean up and check, I'm back on hols again. Toodle-pip!

admin_vb, Jun 15, 2013
Ask a Question