Recent experience

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by ashleigh, Jul 23, 2013.

1. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Instead of a whinge, I'd like to be positive.

On the weekend, after being away from C-Bus for about 3 years, I decided I needed to reconfigure my C-Bus wireless switches - something I'd been promising the eldest son for the last 12 months.

I needed to change a couple of wireless Saturn switch setups, as well as generally check things, recover the long-lost database and so on.

Once I had downloaded the latest Toolkit (which is much nicer than 3 years ago), and connected the relevant wireless hardware (again, piece of cake, nothing difficult) I could scan the network, and load the device properties. Everything JUST WORKED.

My only trouble was remember how to use wireless house code learn to join a new switch to the network - once I read the instructions (too long ago - could not remember how it worked), that unit appeared on the network as well and I could load it.

Reconfiguration was easy. Setup, test and save were all easy.

In fact... easier than I remembered it 3-4 years back... the background sync on Toolkit is nice - a big improvement in getting information up FAST and then filling in the holes in slow time. At least I could see what I was dealing with quickly and identify that there was a unit missing from the network.

The whole update / reconfigure was sorted out within 15 mins - including dealing with an oddball load that needed some strange minimum load setting.

So - Toolkit dudes and dudettes - and all the other people out there making C-Bus products - its still good. In fact, better than I remembered, and it still makes a nice impression on the walls and DOES WHAT I WANT!

And that's after some changes of load types (urgh.... a few LED loads have replaced a few incandescents, though not everywhere. A cupboard full of old incandescents sees the kitchen light live on...), many years in the same house, a bathroom reno, and various other fiddles and changes that have been made since installation.

C-Bus is still damn good :) :)

ashleigh, Jul 23, 2013
  2. ashleigh

Conformist

Thanks Ashleigh for taking the time to post.... really appreciate hearing nice comments. Most of the posts we see are when things go wrong or are complaints.

I'm sure most of those on the forums, almost always have good experiences and sometimes great ones with C-Bus. It's a shame we only tend to hear from most people when there is a problem or something that is not liked.

Thanks again

Conformist, Jul 23, 2013
  3. ashleigh

Dave Byron

In fact... easier than I remembered it 3-4 years back.

Long term memory not so good A ???

Remember the pre Toolkit verion Dbase files etc and you were still in training with that old truckie guy.

hahaha

Dave

Dave Byron, Jul 23, 2013
  4. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Dave I well remember the pre-Toolkit days, and I regarded all that as an engineering tool for use in the lab, not a proper commissioning tool. How people managed with it escapes me.

(Then I saw the KNX commissioning tools - if you thought the old dbase "cbus 2" setup s/w was a bit clunky, you aint seen nothin.)

Toolkit is very slick compared with some of the other "mainstream" junk out there.

ashleigh, Jul 24, 2013
  5. ashleigh

nickrusanov

I support this message and totally agree. C-Bus became very good in terms of programming and configuration recently.

nickrusanov, Jul 25, 2013
  6. ashleigh

Darren Senior Member

Some credit should also go to the guy who designed the C-Bus Wireless system - he was a genius ;-)

Darren, Aug 9, 2013
Ask a Question