Real Time Clock

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Pete, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Pete

Pete

I am a "new" member to C Bus, please can someone help me in regard to answering a few questions?.

I have purchased dimmer units, relay units and a some DTL wall switches plus a PCI unit.
    I have also downloaded Toolkit software and have read the manuals in order to get familiar with the C Bus product.
    I now feel a bit more comfortable to start the programming, ??

The network is NOT connected. QUESTIONS?..

1) Do I need to add the Dimmer units and relay units, can this be done without being connected to the network?
    2) I am aware that the system talks about having a system clock, this is obviously within the dimmer and relay units!!! However I assume that this clock is not a real time clock?
    3) How do I add or obtain a real time clock without using a touch screen. I only want to use my system through my PC but without Home Gate?!!! Can a real time clock be added?

Pete

Pete, Jul 29, 2007
  2. Pete

NickD Moderator

You don't need the dimmer units and relay units on the network in order to program other stuff, however you *do* need a C-Bus power supply to power the units on the network. Seeing as you have not listed a power supply I'm hoping that you have purchased one or more output units with a C-Bus power supply built in.. (if the part number ends in a "P" it *doesn't* have a power supply). Wiring this up will require working with mains wiring, so unless you are experienced with this and licensed to do so you should not attempt it.

The system clock is used for syncronising network communications, and is generated by one of the output units (this option should be enabled in 2-3 of the output units, but only one of them will end up actually generating it - they work this out amongst themselves). This clock is completely different to a Real Time Clock. To get Real Time Clock functionality on your network you need either :
    a) A touch screen
    b) a PAC + a DLT (the PAC has the RTC, the DLT provides the user interface to set it easily).
    c) a PC running Homegate or Schedule+

Seeing as you already have the DLTs I'd suggest the PAC option.. The logic engine in the PAC will let you do lots of other cool stuff too.

HTH,

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
    NickD, Jul 29, 2007
Ask a Question