Reading SIM mode possible?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ingo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ingo

Ingo

Is there a way to determine in which mode the Cbus SIM is in?

I have a Comfort UCM/CBus, with the latest generation SIM module, and I am experiencing strange behaviour since I installed this new SIM. The older SIM does not exhibit these strange symptoms. Let's just leave it at 'strange behaviour' for now.

In debugging the problem one of the questions was 'in what mode is the SIM when this problem happens?' We need to know if it's Basic, Smart etc..

The question is now, can I determine the Mode of the SIM via normal Cbus channels? With this I mean, the CBus Diagnostic utility or any other external method like from Comfort itself with a command sent to the UCM/CBus.

If there are no external methods, are there any internal methods that can be used by Cytech to detemine the state? Just a Yes|No would be fine, I don't want to know details as I will pass this answer on to Cytech.

Thanks,
    Ingo

Ingo, Jul 6, 2011
  2. Ingo

Darren Senior Member

Yes, the mode can be read.

It is always best to put it into a known state before you start using any other commands. The protocol documents provide details of doing this.

Darren, Jul 7, 2011
  3. Ingo

ashleigh Moderator

If using Comfort, *it*should be setting the mode of the SIM as part of its startup.

ashleigh, Jul 7, 2011
  4. Ingo

Ingo

Yes, that's correct. We (Cytech actually) suspect somehow the mode changes somehow so I just wanted to enquire about reading the Mode to see if it did infact change during runtime. I've already passed Darren's answer on to them to take it further.

Ingo

Ingo, Jul 7, 2011
  5. Ingo

ashleigh Moderator

Ah OK, understand. Well, the mode of the PCI CAN NOT be changed over C-Bus.

So if the mode is getting changed, its the thing attached to the serial port that's doing it.

(Reference: Serial Interface Users Guide, section on parameters - about page 55 or 56 - Interface Options 1.)

ashleigh, Jul 8, 2011
  6. Ingo

slychiu

As far as I can see, Interface Options 1 can only be set, but not read back
    The modes and options are set at initialisation from basic mode and work correctly. However in Ingos case it appears to go back to Basic mode because the SIM does not receive any SAL messages from Cbus but Comfort is able to send messages to Cbus. This is only a guess because we cannot read the mode and we do not duplicate the problem here.

slychiu, Jul 8, 2011
  7. Ingo

Darren Senior Member

You can use the C-Bus Diagnostic Utility to see what mode a PCI is in and change it (changing it is not recommended).

1. Run Diagnostic Utility
    2. Connect to C-Bus
    3. Select C-Bus/Set Mode of Other PCI
    4. Enter the unit address of the PCI you want to look at
    5. A form will display the current settings of the PCI
    6. Click on Cancel

Darren, Jul 8, 2011
Ask a Question