Ramp time with Ramp to Level command

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by Conformist, May 15, 2006.

1. Conformist

Conformist

Hi Guys

A couple of questions if I may relating to the Ramp to Level command.

If I set a ramp time of 8 seconds and ramp upwards, is the ramp time from the minumum level (0%) to the maximum level (100%) or from the current level (which may be anything) to the maximum level?

The reason for my question is to do with proportional ramping. If I have a current level of 45% and I need to ramp upwards, will it take 8 seconds to reach 100% from the curent level or is there a calculation performed within C-Bus & make it 4.4 seconds (55% of 8 seconds)? This is quite important as I'm calculating the expected level internally and sending an instant 'Ramp to Level' when the user finishes ramping (ie on long release). I also us this for a memory dimmer function as well as requiring it for the pre V2 dimmers.

Not sure if this is clear.... it's a little difficult to explain.

Regards

Chris

Conformist, May 15, 2006
  2. Conformist

Newman

Conformist, I'm hearing you loud and clear!

C-Bus ramp rates are defined for full range, i.e. 0% - 100%. This means that an 8 second ramp rate takes 8 seconds to ramp from 0% to 100%. Using this ramp rate and ramping from 50% to 100% would only take 4 seconds.

This is the difference between a 'ramp time' and a 'ramp rate'. A ramp time is defined by the duration of ramping. A ramp rate is defined by the speed of ramping. For simplicity the ramp rates are expressed in seconds to ramp from 0% - 100%, to make it more lay-man friendly.

The way this works is a fundamental aspect of the C-Bus communication protocol and can not be changed.

Newman, May 15, 2006
  3. Conformist

Conformist

Thanks

Explained very well.

Cheers

Conformist, May 15, 2006
Ask a Question