Questions About C-BUS

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Smartcbus, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Smartcbus

Smartcbus

Hi, sry again im new to Cbus.. i would eager to know C-BUS and how those it really work. so ive spent some times and there are tone of questions in my mind and i hope some one willing to help me out =).

Question 1.
    From what i know, C-BUS units can be configured through network. Does every unit of Clipsal ( Relay , dimmer ,switches and etc ) has it own ip address? or they are using mac address? if its ipadress, can it be fixed or set to another class of ip?

Question 2.
    Ive playing around with toolkits and i wonder after i'd configure all the units, how to prevent the configuration been changed /copied by other people, or access by unauthorized user?

Sry for my english, and i hope you all can understand what i want to ask. Thank You.

Smartcbus, Oct 14, 2008
  2. Smartcbus

Ashley W

C-Bus does not use Ethernet so there are no mac addresses or IP addresses. It uses it's own proprietory protocol. But yes within this protocol the devices are given a user defined address which is the address you see in toolkit.

With Q2 you cannot do that, and besides why would you?

Ashley W, Oct 14, 2008
  3. Smartcbus

Smartcbus

Hi Ashley, Thx for Q1's answer , for Q2, why would i ask so because i dont want any other guy to access into CBUS network and changed the setting of the CBUS. And its very inconvenience that everytime you have to fix trouble that other ppl make. Thats why im asking is there any way how to prevent unauthorized person to access CBUS network by using software or hardware it self?

Smartcbus, Oct 15, 2008
  4. Smartcbus

SeamlessAutomation

Acess

SmartCbus...

The only way other people can get access is buy directly plugging into the system with a PC interface from a laptop, not like a Computer network where you need administrative rights.

SeamlessAutomation, Oct 15, 2008
  5. Smartcbus

Smartcbus

Hi SeamlessAutomation, Thx for the reply, i agree what you are saying but as you see.. everyone can buy Pc interface and plug into the network from a laptop or pc...and because of that, im asking is there any way to secure from unauthorized people to configure the settings?

Smartcbus, Oct 15, 2008
  6. Smartcbus

zip_cool

yeah, anyone can buy a pc interface and connect directly to c-bus network. so the best way to protect are to make sure the c-bus network panel can't be access by anyone.

but the problem if you are connected the c-bus to local area network using 5500CN. the best way to protect this is setting the traffic in the LAN, so that the ip address on 5500CN can only be access by the accessible ip address

thanks.

zip_cool, Oct 15, 2008
  7. Smartcbus

SeamlessAutomation

Cbus Access

Only an Agrade electrician has the rights to open up the board and get to any device to plug in, also smart bus a few questions....firstly what installation are you attempting or looking at putting C-Bus in, as the system is usually taylored to your needs this is the first thing you need to establish.

SeamlessAutomation, Oct 15, 2008
  8. Smartcbus

PSC

You don't need an "Agrade" electrician to connect to the network by removing a switch...

PSC, Oct 16, 2008
  9. Smartcbus

Smartcbus

Hi everyone.. first of all thanks for the reply. Zip Cool, i would like to try out your method, mind i ask you how to setting the traffic in the Lan? can you briefly explain where to start? btw what is network interface really does? i dont understand how i works and its function. and my house's c-BUS system seems dont have this unit. i wonder isit a need to integrate into the system. Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
    Smartcbus, Oct 18, 2008
  10. Smartcbus

SeamlessAutomation

We are talking about access into a network, and security, its obvious that anyone can connect to a switch and get access but by securing the panel would be the first place to start.....

Smart Cbus, a CNI Provides a two way C-Bus to ethernet network interface. it allows C-Bus commands to be distributed via an ethernet network. it requires a 9 -12v dc power pack, it can be used to program networks the same as a PC interface.

if you have a home network set up in your home rather than plugging directly into a pc interface at the panel, or "removing a switch off the wall" you can program via your desktop PC connected to your local network.

SeamlessAutomation, Oct 19, 2008
  11. Smartcbus

Smartcbus

HI, Thx again SeamlessAutomation....hmm so it seems like theres no other way to secure c-bus system from unauthorized user other than by securing the panel. how good is if they can integrate access control function into the c-bus system. =(

Smartcbus, Oct 20, 2008
  12. Smartcbus

ashleigh Moderator

If access control (presumably a security system / burglar alarm) is integrated you have 2 things to be concerned about:

1/ Disarm the access control system. The cbus protocols for access control DO NOT include a bus message that disarms a system. You can do disarm over the bus but only by emulating a keypad and entering a PIN code which is transmitted over the bus 1 character at a time. So to disarm the system you always need the systems PIN code.

2/ Performing control functions from the access control system. This is entirely up the maker of that system. One hopes they only allow control for users that are authorised - perhaps by using the PIN code as above.

FINALLY there is a really simple point to make: if you have physical access to the system, the control bus, or anything else there are many ways of causing disruption. The simplest is to swing an axe through the switchboard. The point I am making here is that you can take SOME security measures too far. Each security measure needs to be carefully thought about to see if it is a case worth taking (design) action on.

ashleigh, Oct 20, 2008
Ask a Question