Questions about 5500PC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by discjockeyr, Mar 13, 2008.

1. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

Hello,

I have some questions regarding 5500PC.
    1. In the box there is a RJ45 plug with a small piece of cat5 cable. What is this for?
    2. the 5500 must be connected to the network all the time or when you want to programme something you can connect it? i am asking because 5500 needs about 39mA to operate so i am wondering why to have it in use after the programming.

Thanks in advance for all the answers

discjockeyr, Mar 13, 2008
  2. discjockeyr

amberelectrics

RJ45 with a bit of cat 5 is the network burden.

You dont need it on the network unless your programming the kit. You dont even need to leave it on site once your done, unless you charged the cuystomer :)

amberelectrics, Mar 13, 2008
  3. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

please can you explain the "network burden". i am a beginner so i am trying to configure a system for my house.

4. discjockeyr

amberelectrics

Network burden is required on most networks, at least until you get on the big ones. I would guess that unless your house is ENORMOUS, you will be using the burden. Almost all the DIN mount units come with a burden. It plugs into the last available CBUS connection on a DIN unit. You also have the option of a software enabled burden, I prefer to use the physical burden though as you know its there for sure.

I would suggest you just plug it in and worry about the theory later as your just beginning.

amberelectrics, Mar 13, 2008
  5. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

Thanks for your reply and your help.

i have 3 relays, 2 dimmers and the PC5500PC. this RJ45 with 1cm cable i found it only in the 5500PC. all the other units have a cable about 30cm long. So on 5500PC there are 2 RJ45 sockets. Do i have to insert this "burden" to the one of the 2 sockets and the other one socket use it to conect the 5500PC with the other units?

Thanks again

6. discjockeyr

Darpa

You don't "HAVE" to plug the burden into the 5500PC, as long as you plug it into the spare second port on the device at the "end of the chain", you're okay.

The 30cm cables in the boxes of other devices are simply "link" cables to join units to one another.

Also, no, you dont HAVE to have the 5500PC connected to your network when you are not using it, however unless you are really starting to run out of power because you dont have enough power supplies, you might as well leave it connected to the network for ease of use later on.

Darpa

Darpa, Mar 13, 2008
  7. discjockeyr

Duncan

Just to expand..

A C-Bus Network needs certain electrical characteristics to be within specific tolerances in order for the network to work correctly.. when you only have a few units the plug-in burden helps bring these characteristics into the correct range.

Some units have "software selectable" burdens, most people prefer to use the little plug in one though.

Duncan, Mar 13, 2008
Ask a Question