Question regarding PCI and location within the "physical" world

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by BUSTERCJB, Apr 14, 2020.

1. BUSTERCJB

BUSTERCJB

Dear All,

I am new to CBUS and the forum so I hope I haven't broken any rules in this post.

I have never been actively involved in the CBUS system at my house, but I now want to build an understanding on how to connect to the actual network, difference between the database/project file and network, how to actually program a switch and understand how the "network" stores the data from the project file. I will post these questions and more in the "general" topic area after I do some more reading on the CBUS system as whole. If anyone has some great "starter" documents, please send them my way.

The first dilemma I have is trying to locate the actual PCI for the system. I have the .cbz file (From the original installer) and have put that into CBUS toolkit and can easily view the database. (I am waiting for the current "most up to date" file from the most recent installer). The older project says that there is a 5500PC on the network. Next to one set of relays and dimmers are 2 rj45 ports where the installer used to "plug into" the network. One of the ports used to go to a RJ-45 to RS-232 adaptor to the serial port of a "Minder" system, which we got the new installer to remove. The other port, believe is a direct connection into the C-BUS network, rather than a RJ-45 connection for the 5500PC. I thought that he must've hid the 5500PC so that I couldn't interface with the network myself, using the RJ-45 connectors on the unit. I made my own RJ-45 to RS-232 adaptor to the specifications on the 5500PC datasheet, assuming that he had the same adaptor to interface with his own computer

However, before I plugged it into my computer, I wanted to be sure I wasn't frying my serial port. Between lines 3(-) and 4(+), I got a voltage of around 29 volts, meaning that this couldn't be the right port.

This means that I am out of ideas. Possibly he brought his own PCI to not only "save" money for customers, but to also lock them into using him as their installer, but I can't remember the specifics of his setup. I think I am going to need to contact the current installer to ask for how he currently connects to the network.

I just thought that someone had some ideas for where I could look. We have 2 networks (upstairs and downstairs) and I thought I have checked every single CBUS board for a PCI.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. I hope everyone is staying safe.

Regards,

Chris

BUSTERCJB, Apr 14, 2020
  2. BUSTERCJB

Ashley

You RJ45 port is a direct connection to the Cbus network. Don't plug a network cable into it or you will do much damage :)

It is rare for systems to be supplied with a 5500PC interface as it just adds to the cost with no benefit to most end users. Installers carry a 5500PC around with them and just plug it in to program the network. You will need to acquire one before proceeding. They regularly come up on Ebay for a reasonable price and there are several available currently for around $200. There is also a 5500PACA which is a logic unit that also works as an interface which will add a lot of programming flexibility if you want to go down that route.

The Cbus training courses used to be available on-line but since Schneider have taken over the web-site is a complete mess and the links don't work anymore. I'm not sure about the legality of sharing them these days.

I suggest you get yourself set up with a 5500PC, get the latest config file if you can, and then come back with specific questions.

If you can't get a config file, you can recreate it from toolkit with a bit of work. The config file really just contains text descriptions of network variables, whereas if you read it from the network you will just get numbers that you need to figure out what the represent.

Ashley, Apr 14, 2020
    BUSTERCJB and jboer like this.
  3. BUSTERCJB

jboer

Hi Chris,

Firstly welcome! If you feel like some reading material I would start with the first few documents here: https://updates.clipsal.com/Clipsal...loads/OpenCBus/OpenCBusProtocolDownloads.html

Secondly I would say that the installer did just bring his own interface, a lot of us do for the reasons you have said above. If you have a SHAC, PAC or B&W Touchscreen on your network, you can use any of those to get onto your C-Bus network. But DO NOT plug the cable you have made into your computer, that would be the direct C-Bus Bus and can get to 31V and is RS485, it wouldn't work and would fry your adaptor or port.

If you need an interface have a look on ebay, there is often cheaper interfaces going on there, you can get the Serial, USB or network versions. I actually have a PAC for sale on there at the moment that would also work as an interface as well as a bunch of other automation features (Just a little plug there lol).

lol Ashley and I posted at the same time, good we were saying the same thing ;-P

jboer, Apr 14, 2020
    BUSTERCJB and Ashley like this.
  4. BUSTERCJB

BUSTERCJB

Thank you Ashley and Jboer so much for your help. I will have to look into either getting a PCI, CNI or that Pascal automation controller you mentioned. Thanks again for the other documents.

Regards,

Chris

BUSTERCJB, Apr 14, 2020
  5. BUSTERCJB

chromus

Watch EBay there are lots of the old serial units on there and occasionally USB and even touch screens.

chromus, Apr 18, 2020
Ask a Question