Quatech PC Cards Solution please!

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Nick Mullins, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Nick Mullins

Nick Mullins

Can anyone suggest a solution to the compatabilty probelms between toolkit and the Quatech pc cards? . 12 months ago i purchased a new laptop and as with most new computers there is no serial coms . Thats was fine with V2 software but now im stuck with a new laptop that i can not use for my cbus if i want to use toolkit.By continuing to use V2 i feel im falling behind.But if i use a Usb adaptor i can not programe NIRT units . Can anyone tell me if by purchasing a CNI unit and using it instead of a PCI Will this fix my coms problems Being that coms will be through Ether net port on my computer . Or Purchase USB adaptor and only use Quatech card for NIRT units.The Guys in Adelaide need to please address these problems being that all new laptops ive seen dont have serial coms.Ive got new projects to start and i was wanting to use toolkit so i need some guidance from you gurus on the easiest fix.Please! :eek:

Nick Mullins, Apr 7, 2005
  2. Nick Mullins

Duncan

Hi Nick,

I see you've answered most of your own questions.. to confirm:

Retain the PCMCIA card for NIRT programming..

Buy a cheap USB/Serial convertor for Toolkit. Something like the Dontronics one works well, and they're very cheap.

The two devices will happily co-exist on the same machine, its not an "either/or" situation.

A CNI is another alternative, but you'll need a little experience with TCP/IP to be comfortable with these devices. I'd go with the Serial/USB Adaptor personally.

Hope this helps.

Duncan, Apr 7, 2005
  3. Nick Mullins

ICS-GS

Serial Ports are available

In the last 3 years i have purchased 3 different laptops (don't ask why!) but even my most recent purchase (6 months ago) i still managed to get one with a serial port. Sure you narrow the market down considerably, sure they usually cost a little more. But as professionals who program this stuff for a living shouldn't we have the right tools for the job!

ICS-GS, Apr 8, 2005
Ask a Question