Programming prices?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dozza_the_goat, Jul 7, 2010.

1. dozza_the_goat

dozza_the_goat

Hi,

Whats an approx cost to program a sytem with 16 different lights (one channel per light), and 6 4 button a switches. (assuming its already installed)

I realise its an open question, but im just trying to get an idea of costs.

Thanks.

dozza_the_goat, Jul 7, 2010
  2. dozza_the_goat

MadMal

Dozza,

As you say -assuming a 2x relay units (L5508RVF) and 6x 4 button switch (5034NL,WE), all cabling correct, etc

Programming for standard switching - multiple buttons may be for a single relay, and/or single button for many relays - or combination, but no scenes or complex switching.

Also assuming project requirements are fully scoped and defined in terms of which switch is to operate which light(s).

Should be able to be done in 30 mins, with maybe another 30 mins to complete implementation and testing.

Shouldnt be more than $150 - if you get quotes over that, give me a yell and I will jump on a plane!

NB: any variation in the assumptions could double the time estimates and hence costings!

Cheers,

Mal.

MadMal, Jul 7, 2010
  3. dozza_the_goat

Memphix

30 minutes is very tight... in reality 15 minutes would of been spent atleast in setup/packup time.

Personally I'd allow an hour if its a simple request - just switching the loads (which is your call out rate $120-$200 for first hour). If its integrating with other devices this could be double or more.

Memphix, Jul 8, 2010
  4. dozza_the_goat

dozza_the_goat

Thanks for the replies. I did download the toolkit and had a quick look. Looks reasonably simple.

Im surprised at the high costs ive previously been indicated for a C-Bus setup.

Sure, if there is custom programming and scenes etc, it might take a bit longer, but surely it could be done in 4 hours if as you say, everything is defined.

Most people ive mentioned C-Bus to have said the same thing.... Great stuff, but way overpriced.... I suspect a lot of this might be from the large implementation cost. The actual gear is reasonable for what it is.

Thanks again.

dozza_the_goat, Jul 9, 2010
  5. dozza_the_goat

brodricj

My CBUS installer charged me $90/hr, and their chargeable time includes travel time. So I learned to do most of the programming tweaks myself, and only call on them to do the 240v stuff. CBUS tech support in Adelaide are very helpful and are just a phone call away. Plus there is a wealth of info on the forum here, particularly from our CIS insider members :D

Not trying to take work away from the pro's though, just pointing out it is something you can learn to do yourself if you want to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
    brodricj, Jul 9, 2010
Ask a Question