Programming CBUS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wiltshireguy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. wiltshireguy

wiltshireguy

I've had the system designed by someone as it's my first time using CBUS. I've read a lot about the CBUS system and thought that the programming side using ToolKit would be relatively simple (ish) and I could do myself. I am technically minded and work in IT. The software seems to be GUI based and a case of setting parameters. However, the guy designing the system has warned me off trying to do this myself. Is he just trying to make money from the programming side, or is the system really something that needs to be programmed by someone with experience?

If I have a go and can't get it working I suppose I could hand it to him then, there'd be no harm then would there?

wiltshireguy, Dec 31, 2010
  2. wiltshireguy

Don

no harm in having a go!

Especially if it is an installation in your own home.

Given your background, you should find it quite easy to get something going. There are several different 'levels' of programming, but even at the lowest level (using 'learn' mode without even using Toolkit), you can get functionality and some energy-saving features enabled (dimming, timers). Toolkit gives you access to the full capability of the units, and includes a 'help' feature. Toolkit can be used to fully configure units that don't have extensive logic or graphical features. If you include touch-screens or logic units, you need another program - PICED (don't ask me how to pronounce that.. there may be some guidance in the forums on that ;) ).

What you miss out on by doing it yourself is full knowledge of what is possible; there are a lot of concepts that may not be obvious.

The end result is that it will almost certainly take longer to configure by the time you've tried a few ways of doing things yourself, and you might miss out on some possible solutions (though there's a mine of information in these forums), but on the other hand, you gain the ability to customise your installation at any time with ease.

Don, Jan 1, 2011
  3. wiltshireguy

Automation Experts

A bit of both, Most installers like the programming side more than the install side, I sure do, the thing you have to remember to is that this installer might have his name in the units already and when things go bad if you program it then his reputation is splashed all over the gear, also what might be better is if you get him in to teach you how to do it? that way you get a good job and get to learn, If I was doing your job I would happily help you learn how to program the units in your time ;).

Automation Experts, Jan 8, 2011
Ask a Question