Programming bus couplers without scenes

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by 2SC, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 2SC

2SC

Can you help me please on this:

In a hotel room when the energy save card triggers an old bus coupler (without scenes) I need to trigger a scene from a saturn switch.

How can I do it?

You have 6 hours ( I am going for sleep) :D

2SC, Apr 10, 2009
  2. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

Put the old bus coupler in the Trigger Control application ($CA - hex), then set it up to either do a recall or issue an on or off.

You can get it to issue a max of 4 scene triggers this way. This is the old, yuk way but it will work. You can't issue normal lighting commands though. It's trigger or lighting, but not both from the same unit.

ashleigh, Apr 11, 2009
  3. 2SC

2SC

Thank you Ashleigh but thats exactly what we did. After a better search we discover what the problem was.

As I said a energy save card triggers an auxiliary contact that we used it to trigger 2 couplers in parallel. The auxiliary contact was closed as a card was in the card slot and opened a minute after the card was removed.

The first coupler was for triggering a welcome scene on the local room network and the second one was for checking presence for the reception network.

However, as we discover after a lot of testing and checking, even though the auxiliary contact was opened when we removed the energy card, couplers unexpectedly kept the same state. :eek:

The problem was solved as soon as we installed a second auxiliary contact for the second coupler...:confused:

Any ideas why this happened?

2SC, Apr 12, 2009
  4. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

Sorry - no idea at all.

Well.... maybe check the programming of the coupler carefully. Maybe it was set up so it did not send any commands when the contacts opened.

ashleigh, Apr 13, 2009
  5. 2SC

2SC

We didn't change anything on the programming. A small detail on the cabling and everything is OK.

At first I thought that the problem occurred from the total length of the cabling to the couplers (no more than 10 meters) since the second coupler wasn't in the room.

So I installed a second coupler next to the first one, but we had the same problem. As soon as we altered the connection (see attached pdf) everything run smoothly.

I thought I should share it with you because sometimes when you are under stress trying to keep deadlines for commissioning it might be useful to someone else.

Attached Files:

2SC, Apr 13, 2009
  6. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

Ah hah!

You wired two bus couplers to the same contacts (in parallel).

Do not do that, please !!!

ashleigh, Apr 14, 2009
Ask a Question