Problem with PCI and Cbus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by willplaice, Jan 16, 2007.

1. willplaice

willplaice

Hi I'm new to this, but I have cbus connected to CQC, and the CQC driver fails to connect, apparently it is waiting for a stream of MMI commands that are not ever sent,

Apparently "There are 2 types of MMI, the original and extended MMI"

when I look at the logs from the CBus diagnostic Utility apprently I only see "extended MMI"

Is there something in the PCI that I can change what MMI's are sent ?

many thanks for any help, Will

willplaice, Jan 16, 2007
  2. willplaice

Phil.H

Is your C-Bus install a single network ? MMI's are not sent across network bridges...

Phil.H, Jan 16, 2007
  3. willplaice

willplaice

i've had alot of help, currently we think that mmi might not be sent as i only have a single dimmer and the PCI, i have no switches at present...

am getting a switch to confirm this...

willplaice, Jan 16, 2007
  4. willplaice

rhamer

I have been helping Will with this one and here is a bit more information.

His test network currently consists of a PCI and a 4 channel dimmer, nothing else.

The problem is the PCI is not sending MMI messages.

The commands we are using to stimulate the PCI are the same that work on my PCI and my PCI is the same firmware revision as Wills.

The actual commands are those published in the Public Release documentation.

All the responses to the initialisation commands appear correct, although the last command that actually turns on the MMI messages (section 4.2.2) does return a slightly different answer. I don't know the significance of the return differences, as they are just labeled xxxx and yy in the example.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 16, 2007
  5. willplaice

ashleigh Moderator

What you are turning on is the ABILITY for the PCI to see MMIs that are whizzing past on the network.

You need at least one key unit to be on the network for MMIs to be autonomously running.

ashleigh, Jan 16, 2007
  6. willplaice

NickD Moderator

This is correct.. if you have no switches you will not see any status report MMIs, as these are only initiated by input units (switches, PIRs, etc).

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
    NickD, Jan 16, 2007
  7. willplaice

rhamer

Ah, I knew you chaps would come to the rescue.

It makes sense now as the MMI's are used to resolve any state inconsistencies in input units, so without any there is nothing to check.

Cheers

Rohan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
    rhamer, Jan 16, 2007
  8. willplaice

ashleigh Moderator

Zackly.

Actually its a bit more complex than that, because the input units kick off the MMIs, then look to see if the information contained in the MMI (which is put there by the output units) matches what they expect.

If input units see enough differences between what they expect, and what they are told, then they will apply a correction - either to themselves OR to the output, depending on the circumstances.

And... the inputs units have a clever method of arbitrating between themselves which one will actually kick off the MMI - but once it is going they all to the checking.

Your summary is sufficient, though!

ashleigh, Jan 18, 2007
  9. willplaice

willplaice

just posting to say all fine now i have a switch in the bus, thanks for the help !

Will

willplaice, Jan 18, 2007
Ask a Question