Problem with L5508D1A Dimmer

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by rowanh, Aug 30, 2004.

1. rowanh

rowanh

Hi --

Channels #2 on one of my L5508D1A dimmers is giving problems.

The control side appears to work (i.e. local toggle LED turns on when the circuit is switched on, Minder shows circuit as on) but the load side does not work (i.e. lights do not come on).

The problem is intermittent: if the circuit starts working it will work for two or three weeks, then will go on strike for a similar amount of time.

I have tried resetting the unit by turning off the associated circuit breaker, but no luck this time.

I have also turned the circuit on via the Minder - a method which has worked on occasion in the past - but still no luck.

Since the unit is under warranty I can return it Clipsal. However, Clipsal locally (in South Africa) only do this on exchange, and I don't want to be left without lights (as has happened in the past) whilst the Clipsal techies decide if the unit is problematic.

Any comments / assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks

-- rowan

rowanh, Aug 30, 2004
  2. rowanh

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Rowan
    What a strange coincedence , i had channel #2 on one of my dimmers go down as well....Sent it of for repair and apparently it was something to do with the choke (coil) ......Doesnt sound good...
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Aug 30, 2004
  3. rowanh

znelbok

The clipsal rep dropped one off to me and told me to return the old one when I had swapped them out when I had to clim one against warranty. Have you asked them about how to overcome this problem

znelbok, Aug 31, 2004
  4. rowanh

rowanh

Thanks guys - looks as though I did everything right - will be swopping out the unit.

-- rowan

rowanh, Sep 2, 2004
  5. rowanh

DChabipis

I had the same problem with a couple of dimmer units....it seems that only the L5508D1A are prone to such problems...try measuring the current before installing a new unit...you might have currents in excess of 1A

DChabipis, Sep 21, 2004
Ask a Question