Problem with C-Gate 1.5.3

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by MichaelCarey, May 1, 2006.

1. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Hi Everybody,
    I recently reinstalled the OS on my "server" to fix a problem I had with ServerX. ServerX talks to HomeGate on my office machine. I also have an older version of C-Gate (v1.5.3 build1103) running on this machine connected to my C-Bus network via a PCI.
    After my reinstall, I have found that C-Gate cannot open the C-Bus network. I get an error 911 "Can't open: C-Bus interface (no such port):COM1"
    BUT, the COM port and the PCI are working OK, I tested it with the excellent C-Bus Diagnostic Program. Everything checks out great. Nothing else in this PC has changed, after I reinstalled C-Gate, I copied my config files back into their original locations.
    What else can I check? In the process of getting things working like my RAID monitor software, ServerX and C-Gate I have various versions of the Java runtime environment installed :-
    1.4.1_02
    1.4.2_11
    1.5.0_05
    1.5.0_06
    While it's not essential that I have this C-Gate operational, I would like to get to the bottom of the problem.
    Could it be a Java problem?
    Regards,
    Michael.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2006
    MichaelCarey, May 1, 2006
  2. MichaelCarey

Duncan

I dont really know muich about CGate 1.5.. newer CGates require javax.comm.properties to be present.. is this file on the machine? I'm not even sure the old CGate needed it.. ?

Duncan, May 1, 2006
  3. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Thanks for that Duncan! I found one instance of javax.comm.properties in one of the JRE lib folders, I copied it to the other lib folders. C-Gate now opens the network. Of course, being an older version, it has trouble with units it doens't "know" about, like my C-Bus Wireless Gateway. And it doesn't like all the traffic on my network from applications other than the standard lighting application. I found that keeping the network file up-to-date was more trouble than it was worth.
    Will C-Gate2 ever be available for a standalone installation like this?

4. MichaelCarey

Duncan

Yes, it is now.. Why arent you usnig it?

Duncan, May 1, 2006
  5. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Oh Ok.
    I must have missed it in the download page, my mistake.

6. MichaelCarey

Duncan

Ahh I see your point now.. its not available as a stand alone download.. leave it with me..

Duncan, May 1, 2006
  7. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Yes, I don't need Toolkit or any other software on this PC. In fact, most of the time it doesn't have a monitor hooked up to it. I have ServerX running as a service and C-Gate as a normal program. I will await your reply.

8. MichaelCarey

Richo

Just copy the "C:\CLIPSAL\C-Gate2" directory over to the other machine and create a shortcut with the following command to launch C-Gate "C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -jar cgate.jar" (If you didn't have Java installed you would need to install that as well of course).

Richo, May 1, 2006
Ask a Question