Premise Gateway??

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by MichaelCarey, Sep 24, 2004.

1. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Hi Everybody,
    I know that the CIS guys can't comment about future releases, but I was looking at this site;
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=5&page=4
    ...and noticed the "Premise Gateway". Anyone here got some more info on this device, mainly if it can perform as a DSL router? I'm looking at the text that reads "The Premise Gateway connects to the Internet".
    Or is it just a web server, interface to C-Bus, MinderPRO, etc.
    Reason is that I need a new DSL router, but I will put up with my old buggy, crashy one if this baby will do this too.
    I like the C-Bus DLT switches too. Bring it on Clipsal, BRING IT ON!!
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Sep 24, 2004
  2. MichaelCarey

jager07

Premise Gateway - PG

"taken from the www.cisasia.com..my site..."

Clipsal?s Premise Gateway (release 2005) provides a connection to home control subsystems via the internet. By incorporating Web-based Home Controls with a DSL Router and Firewall, the Premise Gateway can establish and maintain a secure connection to the internet and provide secure access to Home Controls such as lighting, security, climate control, video camera?s and other devices on the local area network (LAN).
    The Premsie Gateway presents these subsystem via a browser whether it is a running on a hand held computer (PDA), laptop, web tablet PC or normal LAN connected PC. While this may be convenient from within the home it is revolutionary when this functionality is extended to internet connected devices.

Interconnection with Clipsal?s C-Bus Control System allows the control and monitoring of Home Controls when combined with Clipsal?s Portal service, users with a standard Dynamic IP DSL Connection are able to connect to their house via the internet There is a full user authentication process and once connected all data is encrypted using public key encryption technology. The Gateway has a built in firewall to help ensure all your data is protected.

Premise Gateway is a solid-state device with no moving parts. The gateway is small enough to install almost anywhere. Connectivity to the Internet can be provided via Ethernet DSL Modem or WAN. PPPoE and PPTP DSL Protocols are supported. With the increased availability of broadband data services at affordable prices, realtime access to the home is now a reality. Coupled with the range of C-Bus devices the scope for remote services and control to the home is extensive.

jager07, Oct 1, 2004
  3. MichaelCarey

Colin Smith

Premise Gateway

I have just started working on a similar system for my clients. I am "guessing" that it would be very similar, if so then the gateway works like this.

The gateway site is provided by Clipsal.
    You will log on securely to their site from a browser from anywhere in the world.
    From there, once you are authenticated you will then be connected through to your home system.

Your home system, will very likely have a dynamic IP (i.e. it changes all of the time). Most ISP's will allocate you with a dynamic IP. A software package will run on your home PC that will update the Clipsal site with your current IP. The software package will recognise the MAC address /'s of the Clipsal server so it knows that it is a secure connection. The firewall will only allow control through that port if it recognises the MAC address, therefore the Clipsal system in your home will only accept communications that have come from the Clipsal server.

This way you have a very safe connection (VPN) from your home to the world. Clipsal maintain security on their site and remove the security issue from the owner.

My project is on hold until I see if my guess is correct. No need to reinvent the wheel. I have actually reserved a name for my gateway, I may not need it now!

Colin Smith, Oct 5, 2004
Ask a Question