preferred method of group wiring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam 6, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Adam 6

Adam 6

What is the preferred method of wiring? I was of the opinion an SDI from relay/dimmer was ok. I was having a conversation with another installer, which he said. The preferred method is to run a 2C+E back to the relay/dimmer from each group. I referred back to the basic training manual and all diagrams show a SDI. ????

Adam 6, Oct 19, 2014
  2. Adam 6

Roosta

2c+e

Roosta, Oct 19, 2014
  3. Adam 6

Ashley W

Preferred in in the eyes of who? Both methods work, both methods would meet regulatory requirements, neither should have any effect on warranty etc, so would have thought it was up to the preference of the installer.

Ashley W, Oct 20, 2014
  4. Adam 6

bmerrick

Hi Ashley,

I see both configs, both work and both should when done to meet the Aust. standard, so its a philosophical point.

A benefit of running the 2C+E to each load rather than individual SDIs I have noticed is that it can reduce the instances of nuisance tripping of RCDs due to split neutrals/earth that are sometimes present and also on outdoor and inductive circuits.

If you have one RCD per module/ 2 modules, its easier to keep track of with a small neutral bus bar for each row, which makes moving a load in future a whole lot easier, for example, often a client will want a light load moved from its original relay to a dimmer channel giving rise to 'er what neutral was that on?'.

It also gives you several 'spare' cores in case your client 'discovers' LED strip lighting after the house is already near complete (of course that never happens :p ) and you have no cores going that way.

Of course, the cons are the extra cost over SDI which is a competitive consideration in tight jobs.

Just my two cents, not my mantra!!!

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    bmerrick, Oct 21, 2014
  5. Adam 6

Adam 6

Cheers guys...

Adam 6, Oct 21, 2014
  6. Adam 6

Ashley W

Don't disagree and exactly how my system is done. Just saying there is no preferred way and it all comes to preference, as you have proven.

Ashley W, Oct 21, 2014
  7. Adam 6

bmerrick

Hey Ashley,

Sorry :eek:

Should have read.

Hi Adam 6,

I see both configs, both work ................

:eek: Brain fail. Was responding to the poster who asked the question, was not directed to you, I just supported your point.

You, like me probably see most / all systems done these days are 2C+E, (and mine was too from house build 10+ years ago).

Cheers,

Brad

bmerrick, Oct 21, 2014
  8. Adam 6

znelbok

I have seen both as well. My preference is 2C+E back to the control units

Why? More flexability. e.g. If I decide I want to move a load that is on a relay to a dimmer then I can easily do that by moving the active and neutral (each unit is on its own RCD).

If I ran SDI only then the neutral would be "stuck" on that RCD and need me to climb into the celining and do more work that required.

Yes, you can design it slightly differently wherby you use a single RCD above all the individual MCB protecting each unit to overcome this, but I typically see a single RCD/MCB combo used for each seperate unit.

Granted, you will not likely change the system much if at all, but thats not how I do things. I like options so I chose the method that is most flexible IMO.

Mick

znelbok, Oct 22, 2014
Ask a Question