Power supply Colour Touch MK1 - definitive info please

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by KevinH, Feb 28, 2015.

1. KevinH

KevinH

Now that the 4 pin PSU (Meanwell SPU50-1-SO1 5000CTCPS ?) for the Colour Touch MK1 is no longer available from Schneider mine chose to fail of course. Based on forum posts the PSU's seem problematic and I have 3 MK1 screens. All the PSU's run hot and occasionally I have a thermal shutdown that a power cycle remedies. I am concerned about the safety of these power supplies as my failed unit melted down, fortunately we smelt the burning. Being told that the solution is to buy new MK3 screens is not very helpful.

There seems to be a lot of posts about the new PSU's damaging the old screens if the connectors are adapted so can someone from Schneider please post exactly what the PSU spec is for the MK1 Colour touch. I need to source an alternative power supply for my screens to make my install safe I feel.

Does it require exactly 5.3V or 5.6V or 5.0V as variously reported, and are there any other unusual specifications beyond good regulation and 6A current ? I assume there is further onboard regulation within the screen itself or does the 5V have to be really well regulated as it powers the logic directly ?

Of course if anyone had a MK1 PSU available to buy I'd be most appreciative but I really think that Schneider should help a bit more here when they can't source spares by detailing what is required and not just saying buy new screens. The old PSU's seem to be a potential fire risk, they should be keen to get them replaced with a safe version.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    KevinH, Feb 28, 2015
  2. KevinH

ashleigh Moderator

AS FAR AS I REMEMBER: Mk 1 screen has a big fat diode on the power entry for basic reverse polarity protection (not an especially good design idea); and this means that around 0.6 to 0.7 V is dropped over that diode.

The PS was a 4 wire design that regulated the voltage delivered to the terminals in the presence of long cables (2 for power, 2 for sense); set to deliver 5.6V into the screen. The 0.6V was then dropped over the diode leaving 5V to run all the innards.

Later models (Mk 2 I think) changed to use a separate MOSFET based reverse polarity protection - possibly in the external box, I can't remember now. These I think also used 4 wire PS (2 supply + 2 sense) but use of the MOSFET for reverse polarity protection meant that the voltage drop was much less; allowing a plain 5V supply.

So for a Mk1, I'm pretty sure you need to deliver 5.6 V at whatever the high current is. That DOES need to be well regulated as its used directly. There is no on-board down conversion etc.

Regarding Mk3: I know nothing about that one at all.

ashleigh, Mar 1, 2015
  3. KevinH

rhamer

Have you tried to get one from Mean Well directly?

In Australia ADM Instrument Engineering are an agent for Mean Well and they have sourced power supplies (not this particular one) for me in the past.

www.admtech.com.au

I assume Mean Well will have agents in Europe as well.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 2, 2015
  4. KevinH

KevinH

It's fried the touch screen

Ashleigh, Thanks for the info, hopefully that would have sorted me out.

I did note that on the back of the CTouch it has 5.3V written on it - I don't know if maybe it's a germanium reverse polarity protection diode inside ? I also tried Meanwell but they said that particular power supply was no longer available or recommended. They said try to source a different model if possible rather than buying a direct replacement.

Anyway that's no longer the issue now as the whole TouchScreen is dead it seems. Before sorting a new PSU I tried the C-Touch unit on one of my other good power supplies. Blue light on but no beep/boot/backlight. I also tried moving its CF card to another C-Touch but that then doesn't boot and the CF gets hot so it looks like the PSU has managed to apply more than 5V to all the circuitry. Repair is probably not economical.

It appears that the Colour C-Touch gen 1 had really bad power protection / supply design, which is probably why it was changed in gen 2. The Meanwell PSU's themselves seem to have problems that cause overheating / melting and in some cases they fail and apply too much voltage which the C-Touch has no protection against and so it gets fried. All in all a AU $6000 dollar (yes they cost that in the UK) touchscreen gets totally trashed because of a design compromise.

Not happy with this scenario , and concerned about my remaining ones now too, not only re the financial loss but from a fire risk perspective.

:mad: K

KevinH, Mar 2, 2015
Ask a Question