Power Points

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by steve22537, Mar 17, 2008.

1. steve22537

steve22537

We are using C-Bus to control various power points through out our new home. I've asked the electrician to install power points with a round earth pins, is this correct or is there another solution?

The only appliances to be plugged in to these power points are going to be lamps with out a earth pin.

Any comments would be most useful.

Thanks

steve22537, Mar 17, 2008
  2. steve22537

PSC

Steve,

Definitely round earth pins are the way to go.

PSC, Mar 17, 2008
  3. steve22537

steve22537

Thanks for that Peter. Though maybe Clipsal had a single GPO with only 2 pins and no earth, but round earth will do. Is it worth marking these GPO's with something like "C-Bus Only"?

steve22537, Mar 18, 2008
  4. steve22537

PSC

Steve,

I haven't found it necessary to mark them 'C-Bus Only' as round earth plugs on devices are not that common.

These days it's kind of a pseudo standard that devices plugging into a lighting control system have a round earth pin.

PSC, Mar 18, 2008
  5. steve22537

TheDuck

A round earth pin denotes a SPO or Special Purpose Outlet, this would fit the describe what you are doing. Your electrician should be the one to check that he is happy that it complies with Wiring Standards.

Hope this helps:)

TheDuck, Mar 18, 2008
  6. steve22537

Darpa

Just dont use any GPO's with round Active & Neutral pins, these gnerally denote a 110v (USA mains) outlet, primarily only used by production companies (concert lighting, etc, due to some lighting only being available in 110v versions).

Darpa, Mar 19, 2008
  7. steve22537

JohnC

Darpa, they are standard Aussie power points, but with a round rather than flat earth pin...

[​IMG]

JohnC, Mar 25, 2008
  8. steve22537

steve22537

Thanks John,

Most appliances that are to be controlled via C-Bus ie table and bedside lamps only have two pins (no earth) so a round earth pin will mean I won't be needing to replace power plugs.

Steve

p.s. I'm finding I have to log in every night to see any new posts, very informative and adctive. Need to get out more......

steve22537, Mar 25, 2008
  9. steve22537

Darpa

John, I was referring to the versions that have two round pins (Active and Neutral), with a flat earth, so the exact opposite to the picture that you provided above.

I agree with you and everyone else about the version that Steve is planning to use, as pictured, being perfect for the purpose he intends to use them for. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
    Darpa, Mar 25, 2008
  10. steve22537

znelbok

I thought about this when I was building and I decided against dedicated outlets.

If you go the round earth pin solutions, you are stick with that solution for the rest of your life while in the house. Say the boss wants to shift the furniture around and all of a sudden that GPO that was meant for a light is now needed for something that needs the earth pin, what do you do.

I decided that I would use the wireless range of plug in modules to achieve the solutions I needed, it is flexible and can grow as we need. Only downside is that it can cost a little more.

Mick

znelbok, Mar 25, 2008
  11. steve22537

Conformist

I agree with Mick. Not too sure if it really costs too much more. If you consider you need a relay (or dimmer) channel per outlet and the outlet needs a home run (back to the switchboard), the cost may be similar. Plus as Mick has pointed out, you have the flexibility to move the point(s) as desired. I've always been fond of the idea especially when clients wanted switches next to their beds... I would sell them on IR or RF remotes with plug-in modules for bedside lamps. Needs a little less planning too:)

Conformist, Mar 25, 2008
  12. steve22537

steve22537

We intend only to control power points in specific locations and also install a standard non-cbus power point close by. The bedside table lamp, table lamps in home theatre, table lamp in foyer, power point for Christmas Tree in foyer, table lamps in lounge and power points in recesses. All other power points will not be controlled. So we are mainly controlling the lighting so they will be each connected to a dimmer channel except the Christmas Tree. Two power points beside the bed/s, one controlled and one not (bedside lamp/s and alarm clock). The home theatre will be C-Bus powered to kill the equipment when not in use, no standby consumption. I will label the power points that are on the dimmers just to prevent some one pluging in the vaccuum clearner in to a dimmer circuit, even though we have ducted vaccuum, you never know.

Steve

steve22537, Mar 25, 2008
  13. steve22537

znelbok

The two power points behind the bedside table stopped me. I already had an Ethernet port (Ethernet enabled clock radio - they are coming) there, adding a third plate was out of the question.

Also, what if you want to control 4 loads individually. A wireless option allows a power board to be used as well.

Power point for Christmas tree - damn expensive PP for 6 weeks of use. Use a wireless switch and move it temporary from a table lamp for the holiday period.

Just trying to play devils advocate here to make sure you are sure of your decision.

Mick

znelbok, Mar 26, 2008
Ask a Question