Port forwarding/mapping setting for Wiser

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by wappinghigh, Jun 1, 2009.

1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Apple Airport Port forwarding/mapping settings for Wiser

Hi

I use an apple time capsule as my primary router. Regarding the airport utility settings for this:

What sort of port mapping service do you need to set on your router to view Wiser remotely:

Personal Web sharing?
    Personal File sharing?
    Windows sharing?
    Remote login SSH?
    FTP access?

For TCP port forwarding:

I've read the manual, so I am aware of the specific individual ports for the wiser? But I'd like the actual IPv6 port settings for my timecapsule

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jun 1, 2009
  2. wappinghigh

NickD Moderator

Hmmm... I don't have a time capsule or airport base station, but this doesn't look like what you need (it looks like what you see in "Sharing" under System Preferences).

I think you need to turn on and configure NAT (Network Address Translation) in the time capsule, and then configure port forwarding/mapping to forward the ports required by the Wiser to its IP address.

A quick google turns up this link on setting up port forwarding in the time capsule.

Just to clarify - can you draw a diagram of how you've got it all hooked up?

Nick

NickD, Jun 2, 2009
  3. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

My setup

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out later.

However first I'm not sure I'm set up correctly. Would you mind checking my setup....

As in Option B as per the manual

The timecapsule router is the primary gateway 192.168.0.1

The Wiser LAN IP address is fixed(static). DHCP is disabled. IP: 192.168.0.66
    The Wiser CNI IP is fixed: IP 192.168.0.67:10001

I can browse on into the Wiser LAN GUI no problems and then onto the router config area.

When I browse onto 192.168.0.67 I get

CNI2
    Description: CNI Mk 2
    Project: BAKER1
    Part name: WISERCNI
    C-Bus status: Client connected from 192.168.0.66
    since 13 minutes ago
    Network voltage: 29.8V, measured 13 minutes ago
    IP Address: 192.168.0.67
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.66
    TCP Port: 10001
    Unit Address: 3
    MAC Address: 00:17:DD:01:00:3F
    Serial Number: 001005323527
    C-Bus Firmware: 5.3.00
    Ethernet Firmware: 1.0.0
    Hardware variant: Inline

When I browse onto 192.168.0.67:10001 I get

*** Connection already in use

When I browse onto 192.168.0.66:10001 nothing happens

My installer insisted on using a crossover Cat5 cable between the Wiser LAN and my network switch. Could this be the problem?? Should I just use an normal Cat5 cable here?

wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2009
  4. wappinghigh

7iron

What happens if you browse to 192.168.0.66 ?

If you can get to 192.168.0.67 okay then your network connection is okay.

7iron, Jun 2, 2009
  5. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

When I go onto 192.168.0.66 I can see the Wiser GUI. It controlls my cbus switches just fine.. and I can also then enter the Wiser Router pages through config menu just fine.....:)

wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2009
  6. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

Most unlikely to make a difference. Everything wiser and CNI uses auto-detection. So cross-over or straight-thru - either works.

ashleigh, Jun 2, 2009
  7. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Is there an engineer with apple networking experience out there?

Could anyone give a few clues please.?? I think it might be a firewall issue.

I don't want to drop my firewall completely (ie I have ticked the block incoming APv6 connections box)...cause I'm reluctant to do this with so many other computers on my network, but I just can't seem to get the IPv6 Firewall "exceptions" setting working for the wiser (yes I've set allow all services and ports for this device and checked it's IP address)

I'm getting know where. I'd pay for someone in Melb area to come in and set up my port forwrding/firewall airport settings....Help!!;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2009
  8. wappinghigh

NickD Moderator

I realise this may not be your preference... but have you considered using the Wiser as the "main" router, and not using the routing capabilities of the time capsule? This will probably be easier to set up, and I don't think you would lose any functionality.

Nick

NickD, Jun 3, 2009
  9. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Yes

I have, but I have a rather large home network.

Some 30 something allocated IP addressed devices, wired and wireless . 8 sonos zones, 3 beyonwizes, 5 macs, 3-5 P.C's.(depending how many kids laptops are being used), a couple of iphones, 2x NAS's, a networked printer, IP cameras, all in a days work for a modern family!

This became a nightmare to administer within a windows enviroment. It was just plain unreliable. Also my previous router (a netgear) ended up being proven incompatible with sonos. I had to chuck it out including all the switch gear.

You see, manufacturers of networking gear (And I include CIS now in this), rely on "field testing" by customers like me, before faults and glitches are eventually ironed out.

I don't want to go through this again. My Apple network has been a revelation. It's just that good. It is THE reason why it all now works.

CIS has to understand that people who also buy the WISER are highly likely to also have networks like this which have countless 100's of hours of past setup and testing. They will be reluctant like me to chose anything but option B.......

wappinghigh, Jun 3, 2009
  10. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

That's a pretty cool collection of devices you've got there. :) Apple gear is pretty impressive from an ease of use perspective. Tough act to follow. I agree that everyone else's IP devices have a long way to go before they achieve ease of use. Especially, routers and switches and gateways. Lots of having to do odd things like configure port forwarding and such. Ok, anyway, it sounds like you're almost there as you mentioned your Wiser LAN access is working. So, I suspect that to solve the issue you described, you'll need to figure out if port forwarding on your 3rd party router is configured correctly. Once you've done that, everything should start working. I'd recommend checking on the 8080->80 port forward.

kjayakumar, Jun 3, 2009
  11. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

I'm nearly there...

Thanks! Mr K

You gave me a big clue...

I have moved an IP camera I had on port 80 off onto another port.

I'm now seeing the wiser :), though it wont load properly because it fails a socket authentication....any clues what I have to do here.:confused: I assume this is a firewall issue....

wappinghigh, Jun 3, 2009
  12. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

Ok, if I understand you correctly, you're seeing the web UI right? If you are seeing the web UI show something like "Authenticating socket" and then immediately or shortly thereafter switch to "Unable to connect to Wiser" then I would suspect that the 3rd party router is not port forwarding port 8888 or there is also the possiblity that the external network that you are on blocks port outgoing port 8888 (happens in some corporate VPNs). The full list of ports that you'll want to forward is:
    8888,8889,8336,8337,10001 . In my case the 10001 because that's the port I use for the CNI (ie: remote toolkit). It might be another port on your setup. 8888 for the Wiser socket. 8889 for email. 8336 and 8337 are for remote project update.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
    kjayakumar, Jun 4, 2009
  13. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Cool!!!

Spot on! Hey thanks..I'm on remotely!:):):)

I'll post the airport utility setting for Mac timecapusule and airport extreme router on a separate thread.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

wappinghigh, Jun 4, 2009
  14. wappinghigh

Conformist

All of the port-forwarding information is in the installation manual!!!!

Please take the time to read the manual before posting.

Conformist, Jun 4, 2009
  15. wappinghigh

brett_lynn

Ahhh the good old "RTFM" ......:D

brett_lynn, Jun 4, 2009
  16. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks.

...if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.....

Actually the trouble I was having was not with the manual (sure all the "ports"are listed)..but more how to apply this port forwarding in the apple airport utility that controls my timecapsule router, and get the specific OSX firewall settings correct..(not to mention running and viewing other IP cameras, on the same router)...

But I appreciated everyones help...:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jun 4, 2009
  17. wappinghigh

Memphix

Wappinghigh, I'm interested in your settings. Have you posted these yet? I could not find them. Thanks.

Memphix, Mar 9, 2010
Ask a Question