Pool systems recomendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by znelbok, Apr 28, 2016.

1. znelbok

znelbok

Can anyone recommend a good pool system that is suitable for integration. Not necessarily integration with C-Bus, but something that will allow integration with the rest of the HA system.

I would prefer Australian made, but if no one makes one then I will have to go off-shore.

znelbok, Apr 28, 2016
  2. znelbok

Conformist

Conformist, Apr 28, 2016
  3. znelbok

vtsyrlin

2nd iAqualink.
    Already comes with Ethernet interface (wired and wireless) and smartphone app to control all devices connected to internal relays.
    eg. pumps/heater/spa/valves/chlorinator/ph etc.
    Personally don't see a reason to integrate this further with c-bus. The only part of the pool that's c-bus integrated are my pool lights.

If automation is your end goal, suggest to buy all equipment from the same manufacturer and check compatibility beforehand. Everything is firmware version sensitive.

Haven't tried Astral pool equipment (Aus company) so can't comment on their quality and connectivity.

vtsyrlin, May 13, 2016
  4. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks

I need integration, not a remote on a phone - that is not a smart system in my book.

Integration with the rest of the house systems (which C-Bus is a part of and not the "top" level) is important. There is a single touch-screen running everything - from electric fences, water tanks to TV's and lights.

I'll follow up with Aqualink and see what they can do for me.

Again, thanks for the feedback

Mick

znelbok, May 15, 2016
  5. znelbok

Ashley

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to control? I'm just using Cbus relays to control the pumps and lights with a bit of logic. I would like to control the valves but the price of commercial actuators seems a little steep. I've been looking at just replacing the valves with 40/50mm solenoids which are simple to hook up to cbus relays.

Ashley, May 16, 2016
  6. znelbok

rikaussie

It's not promoted in Australia, but you can get an RS232 interface for the Aqualink.

https://www.aquapoolstore.com/controls/Jandy-AquaLink-home-automation.htm

rikaussie, May 16, 2016
  7. znelbok

znelbok

Everything! I want to be able to do anything from the kitchen.

I am seriously looking at rolling my own system now. The ClickPLC from automation direct can do everything I need for about $100. Add a cheap VVVF with modbus [<$250] (have one already for irrigation) and I then have speed control on the pump. The PLC can control any and all pumps and valves and other devices.

Comms is the biggest issue from things like salt chlorinator's and dosing systems (to control pH etc). Pool systems seem to like using their own protocol but I may just go with the industry standard 4-20mA or other standard protocol like Modbus.

Thanks for the link to the Jandy RS232. I am aware of it and there is already a driver for that for the HA software that I use.

znelbok, May 17, 2016
  8. znelbok

seanmaz

I bought the smart pool timer from Thermomart in the following link,

http://www.thermomart.com/cellphone-wifi-app-google-alexa/Timer-Pool-Spa-Hot-Tub-Sauna

The product works. It’s good quality. It is easy to download the app and I paired it in 15 minutes.

This timer saves me $30-$50 a month and also I do everything on my cellphone or by voice (by Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant) from anywhere!

The Timer can be programmed as scheduled (24 hours 7 days with 8 events) or loop timers if you want to use more event every day. It has a countdown timer too.

It has a waterproof box and it is suitable for outside. I use the sharing system and now my wife can control the pool pump too.

Would definitely recommend purchasing.

seanmaz, Mar 18, 2019
Ask a Question