Poll Cbus Devices for online / offline status

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by Mitch182, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Mitch182

Mitch182

Hi Guys,

I want to know if there is a way for the SHAC / NAC to poll all of the devices on the network and show an alert if something has gone offline / been disconnected.

I can see 'GetCBusStatus()' but only tells if the network is online.

I would create a schedule script running at midnight each night then send an email only if something has stopped working.

Mitch182, Jun 3, 2020
  2. Mitch182

chromus

There is a feature in toolkit that can do this, so there must be a process that can trigger this, however u need to remember that it can cause significant network lag during the scan.

I have witnessed a few false negatives where there were just so many devices replying that some reports get lost, so be aware that it's not a full proof method.

chromus, Jun 4, 2020
  3. Mitch182

Ashley

The protocol supports a set of device management commands (known as CAL commands) which are not directly supported by the SHAC (or any other device). You can only access these directly via a Cbus interface and custom software.

You could create a user object in the SHAC for each device to poll it's voltage and then check that status, but why bother? Cbus devices are probably the most reliable part of your whole setup, and if someone disconnects one it's usually done for a reason. If a device does fail, it's usually quite obvious and the diagnostic utility will give you more information that you could glean yourself.

There a huge cbus installations around and I know of none that have needed this facility.

And as Chromus suggests, you're just adding a lot of traffic for no benefit.

Ashley, Jun 4, 2020
    allanf likes this.
  4. Mitch182

Mitch182

Thanks Ashley, seems like a smart way of doing it, I will try that. The sensors are in LAB areas and it was request by the client that they be alerted if there was any issue with the sensors and perhaps a little bit of curiosity on my side to see how to do it.

Mitch182, Jun 7, 2020
Ask a Question