Planning new house build with SHAC based system. Best HVAC solution?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarkB, Feb 8, 2019.

1. MarkB

MarkB

I'm planning a SHAC based system for a house build starting later this year. Each room will have an eDLT, and I'd like use them to control ducted AC.

Any recommentations for the best way to do this? No decisions have been made yet as to which brand of AC to go with, so if any manufacturer has native C-Bus compatibility that would be ideal. I found an article regarding Panasonic 2018 units that states:

"For residential applications, Panasonic Ducted Air Conditioning and Mini FSV (VRF) will become ready-to-integrate to Clipsal's C-Bus control and also the Push home automation system"

Couldn't find any more info though...

I've also seen CoolMasterNet mentioned a few times but it seems an expensive way of doing it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

MarkB, Feb 8, 2019
  2. MarkB

MarkB

So, I've been looking more into Modbus compatible products and found a company called IntesisBox that makes a number of Modbus interfaces for HVAC units. A unit to interface with Panasonic domestic AC is 210 euro....

https://www.intesisbox.com/en/modbus-hvac/gateways/

MarkB, Feb 9, 2019
  3. MarkB

jboer

This is where modbus is perfect, at the end of the day you just want to be able to set the setpoint and have On/Off control on your AC yeah? And then just switch a zone motor in and out from your eDLTs? You could do that with most systems these days.

jboer, Feb 9, 2019
    MarkB likes this.
  4. MarkB

Dave_F

Hey Mark,

Did you have any luck with the Modbus unit? Have you installed it and able to turn your AC on and off from any Key?

Dave_F, Nov 8, 2019
  5. MarkB

MarkB

Hi Dave,

Build still hasn't started yet, and although I have been testing a few bits and pieces out, the AC interface isn't one of them. I had a small win yesterday testing out a modbus temp sensor with the NAC and it wasn't too difficult to get working so I don't expect there would be any issues with the intesisbox product.

MarkB, Nov 8, 2019
  6. MarkB

Dave_F

Ok perfect. I am just getting quotes to install AC, but none of them will say that it will communicate with C-bus.

Like jboer says above, I only really want to be able to turn it on or off and possibly the fan setting. The setpoint would most likely stay the same. So I will just get someone to install it and ensure that it can monitor the temp in each zone rather than just one temperature sensor for the full house causing hot or cold zones. Then once that's done, I can install the Modbus unit and try to program it.

Dave_F, Nov 9, 2019
  7. MarkB

MarkB

I'm going to take it a step further and have the NAC control variable damper actuators for each room. This will allow some degree of individual temp control.

MarkB, Nov 9, 2019
    Dave_F likes this.
  8. MarkB

rikaussie

I've used CoolMaster in a few situations and it's been fantastic and worth every cent given the full functionality it delivers.

My setup is with a Daikin VRV multi split with 8 heads, everything can be controlled on each head, temp, mode, fan speed, etc. You can also get useful feedback, such as, current temp, demand, etc... You can connect to it via many ways, ethernet/serial API to C-BUS or whatever automation system you might have, or via the CoolMaster cloud app and also via the basic touch screen on the device. If you use the standard wired room controllers any changed setting will be reflected on the Coolmaster and vice versa.

Also had the same success with a couple of Daikin setups with multiple standalone units, linked via the L1,L2 bus.... and also a Toshiba VRV multi split aswell.

If your house is going to be two levels, I'd strongly recommend using at least 2 ducted units as demand for each level will often be dramatically different.

rikaussie, Nov 25, 2019
    DarylMc and bmerrick like this.
  9. MarkB

DarylMc

I’ve also used a Coolmaster interface communicating to multiple AC units on a two wire Daikin central control bus.
    I have been very happy with the Coolmaster hardware.
    That was 10 years ago and it wasn’t easy for me but I think definitely something to consider if you can find some help to get it all working.
    I have heard some people have implemented the Coolmaster interface with the latest Wiser Automation Controller and I would definitely be asking about that setup.
    The Coolmaster interface don’t just talk to Daikin but also Mitsubishi and other systems.
    I recommend talking to Coolmaster to see what AC interfaces they can provide for your application and then consider how you might find someone to integrate that to your CBus project.

DarylMc, Nov 26, 2019
  10. MarkB

chromus

I'm currently working on an install with a client who is an AirCond Engineer for Bakers, he is handling the MODbus side and I am doing the SHAC side, using an IP connection.

The basic setup has been done, but waiting on his electrical contractor to fix 11 F*&Kups I found during 1st attempt at commissioning so I can finish up the CBUS stuff and then integrate the MODbus.

chromus, Dec 16, 2019
Ask a Question