Plain English Explanation for Old School Sparkie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bolinger1981, Mar 1, 2015.

1. bolinger1981

bolinger1981

Ok fellas, long time listener, first time caller as the saying goes and need some clarification when I explain this system to my old school sparkie next door, read on and you'll realise why!

So, I have been reading the forums for a while and have a rough concept of the C-Bus systems but not entirely as I am not a sparkie. What I do know is that much of the work is safe from the SELV end, but not the initial hook up to the CBUS relay.

So I spoke to my good neighbor whos a old school sparkie. Hes heard of C-Bus, hates the thought of computers and wants nothing to do with it - however, hes offered to do some work for me as long as I do the dirty work and talk him though what I need him to do and he does not have to play with any computers - For him it should not be alot from which my understanding as I will run cables and he does the 240v end into the box - And yes, in case you ask, I have looked at courses in Perth, but nothing that I can book in yet, but if anyone has some inside knowledge on night courses that would be great!

So I have a few things I need to clarify before starting the brief, as he is shopping for me and is lucky to get me trade price on most items, and knows some guys that have some second hand gear he can access as well to save a few dollars and I have asked him to pick some parts up. (FYI, Doing the house up and I can access the walls and cavities).

So I have told him that the initial 240v hook up is into the 8 Channel Relay, 12 Channel Dimmer, a 5500 Paca Controller and probably a fan relay or two.

My understanding is that once hes hooked up the system to 240v, I can safely wire the Cbus wall Switches as per clipsals hand book with pink cable, then I can plug into the relay system using an RJ45. Comments?

From there, I believe we can recycle the old down lights (CLA 18w Dimmable) but get rid of the dimmable LED driver that it has on it and replace it with a dimmer such as this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221248242055?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now at this point he needs to wire the new LED dimmable transformer into 240v, then I can connect the LED light to the transformer once they all arrive. I assume the clipsal dimmer module relay (L5508D1A) then connects to the C-Bus +/- Terminals on the transformer using 1.5mm standard light cable. I assume this is the "safe side" and is only around 3 volts out and is just a switch? Comments? :confused:

Also, how would you wire 4 Lights to the same relay number output, would you simply wire in series so that it activates all lights on at once, and dims all at once etc? Comments? :eek:

Now once they are all in I will have a crack with the 5500 Paca to program them all up. As for the fan, I assume that its the same thing, the fan Cbus relay gets wired in by him for 240v input, then the capacitor goes into the fan module to allow the fan speeds to function, then he will also need to run the 240v side back to the fan? Does this sound right or do I need to purchase another device for the fan itself? Comments?

From my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, the Clipsal relays and dimmers are purely switches, and are safe to work on from the other side as they are little to no voltage even when switched on, although I do prefer things off when Im working on them, even changing a light globe. Comments?

Doing one of these CBus courses would make my life far easier!:D

Anyway guys, I Have dribbled on enough, ill take some pics when I am done over the next few months to keep all updated for your help, but first I need to sit down with my neighbor and talk him through this after I have had this all clarified and build the plan up and start sourcing gear.

Thanks In Advance for all your help.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
    bolinger1981, Mar 1, 2015
  2. bolinger1981

Matthew

Not Really, the C-Bus wiring still is part of the electrical installation and as such must comply with the relevant Australian wiring rules.

C-Bus courses are only run by Clipsal as far as I know, and are designed to up-skill electricians, they do not start from scratch.

Not really as you are not allowed to open the switchboard to access the dimmer or relay where 240V is present.
    That looks like cheap product. If you already have dimmable drivers, they may work if they are compatible. Swapping LED drivers is not a wise or recommended activity, they are a lot more complicated than simple 12V ELV transformers
    There is no connection from the C-Bus 8ch dimmer to a phase chop driver, apart from the 240V supply.
    It is simple, but as you are not an electrician, you do not know.
    That is correct on the fan wiring, regarding the programming you do not need PACA for the rest to operate once it has been programmed, it has distributed intelligence, that is the programming for each individual module stays on that module.
    WRONG! the dimmers still have 240V potential across the circuit even when off.

You need you neighbour to understand and take charge of the process, it would be better if he did the course, rather than you. Maybe if you talk to clipsal they would let you sit in with him and give the certification to your sparky neighbour. Maybe not, but I would at least ask.
    Just because the C-Bus side is ELV, does not mean anyone can play with it, to that end I think you have mis-understood it's function.
    Please do not underestimate that C-Bus is a mains product and all parts must be installed by a suitably qualified person, we do not want you to end up in the news by electrocuting yourself.
    Sincere regards
    Matthew

Matthew, Mar 7, 2015
  3. bolinger1981

bolinger1981

Matthew - Point taken - I have been speaking to another sparkie at the moment who is a qualified electrician. After reading a bit more, I thought this may be a bigger task than I originally implied for my neighbor so he referred me to a mate of his who is dropping around next week, as he has had some experience with Cbus systems as opposed to my neighbor who has had zero experience.

Appreciate your input and yes, I do not want to end up being fried on the news so I would like someone who knows what they are doing - In saying that, I will still be the guinea pig who has to go lay the cable in the roof!

Thanks for your input. :)

bolinger1981, Mar 7, 2015
Ask a Question