PIR's, Patching, IR & UK Integrators

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by BeoLinker, Aug 3, 2004.

1. BeoLinker

BeoLinker

Hi,

I now have all my C-Bus kit ready for "self" installation next week and have a few questions that I hope you can help me with....

1. I have opted for the HomeSafe security system with a Bus Coupler to tie in with the C-Bus network. Included in the pack are 2 PIR's that are in addition to a various occupancy / multi sensors that I have aquired for the automation side. Potentially I will have 2 PIRs in some rooms, both basically doing the same thing, so I was wondering if it is possible to share a PIRs beween C-Bus and HomeSafe?

2. I have opted for a star network approach for the various remote units around the house all coming back to a central patch panel. I was looking to cross patch the ports which will allow a single incoming RJ45 connection from C-Bus to a number of output ports, each C-Bus unit connected individually into the other ports on the panel via RJ45. Has anybody done this? Is there a better way? are there any issues?

3. I haven't looked into the IR side of C-Bus very much so far as I have been tied up cross referencing B&O's IR command set to other AV equipment. I do have a few questions however; Do Neo's & E2000 inputs have an IR receiver inbuilt? Is it possible to intercept the incoming IR commands & associated a custom action? (i.e. launch an application on a connected PC) Is the IR capable of receiving & emitting at 455khz? (B&O's frequency)

4. Does anybody know of a Northwest UK based integrator that would be willing (paid) to be used as a standby next week, should things not go to plan?

Thanks in advance and any tips to help the install go as smooth as possible would be appreciated!

Greg..

BeoLinker, Aug 3, 2004
  2. BeoLinker

Newman

Greg

Point 2: C-Bus is virtually topology free (except that circular networks must be avoided) so you can wire up the units almost any way you find convenient, provided that the total amount of C-Bus cable is less than 1Km per network. Daisy-chanining, star wiring, etc, etc all work.
    It's good practice to keep your power supply units either in the middle of the network or spread around a bit. This minimises the voltage drops on long runs.

Point 3: All Neo's and E503xNIRL switches have an IR Receiver built in but it can only accept commands from the standard range of C-Bus IR Remote controls. These switches will only work with the 5034TX, 5034TX12 and 5038TX IR remotes. We have a dedicated IR output unit called the 5034NIRT however I'm not aware of anyone using one on a B&O product before but it is capable of supporting 455kHz carrier.

Newman, Aug 4, 2004
  3. BeoLinker

MrEcosse

B&O

My advice to anyone serious about any integration and home automation is to place all their B&O equipment on Ebay and buy something that is capable of talking and listening in the real world.

MrEcosse, Aug 5, 2004
  4. BeoLinker

BeoLinker

MrEcosse,

I would trade the elegance & perfection of Bang & Olufsen's products for automation anyday :D

My struggle to integrate B&O has been a harduous struggle and many bloody battles yet to be had, but I'll never be beat!

You will be suggesting X10 next!

:p

Cheers
    Greg

BeoLinker, Aug 5, 2004
  5. BeoLinker

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Greg
    Just a suggestion ..could you not learn the B&O ir codes and save then into the nirt and then use a standard (38khz) ir system to control the B&O Kit...???.....For instance i think it could be done in my setup as follows ...When Homevision receives a standard ir signal called vol up it sends out an xPL message which gets picked up by xPL HAL and then a macro (Determinator) is run which to trigger an xPL-CGATE which sends the ir trigger for the cbus transmitter which would send the B&O vol up ???Hope that makes some sense..........

HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Aug 7, 2004
  6. BeoLinker

BeoLinker

Frank,

As far as I am aware there are very few code readers that can learn B&O's commands (unsure as to why!), the Phillips iPronto being one.

I opted not to buy the C-Bus IR handling kit in preference for the above (I did query the subject with Clipsal UK technical support although never got a response!)

I would be very interested to know if this is possible through C-Bus if there other "B&OBus" people out there?

Thanks
    Greg...

BeoLinker, Aug 7, 2004
Ask a Question