PIRs / Multisensors

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Memphix, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Memphix

Memphix

Can anyone confirm that disabling a PIR or Multisensor PIR does not stop the timer?

I am expecting to have the Multisensor turn on the lights, then through logic disable the sensor. And do not want the sensor/PIR to turn the lights off. The local switch will then be able to turn the lights off, with logic enabling the sensor.

Memphix, Jun 14, 2011
  2. Memphix

RossW

Wouldn't it be easier and more logical to just have the PIR send an "ON" on movement, rather than a (re)trigger?? Then you'd have no need to disable it and no issues with the timer affecting it? (Or do you WANT the timer to turn the lights off after a (reasonable) time as a backup?)

RossW, Jun 15, 2011
  3. Memphix

Memphix

Thanks for the reply. I may have to invest in a test board...

I am trying to achieve a setup where the PIR only turns on the lights during normal business hours and does not turn them off, but normal operation out side of those hours (ie: on for 5 minutes then off or retrigg for 5 minutes). This is so if a room is not occupied that day the light stays off, and you are not annoyed by needing to create movement to keep the light on.

I would of thought disabling the PIR would cancel the timer, but have read else where on the forums it doesn't.

The disable is triggered from a different unit, however, I know that if the PIR Group is the same address as the Disable Group, the PIR doesn't disable itself - and this could be seen as disabling the PIR does not cancel the timer.

It would be a simple test if I had one handy.

Memphix, Jun 16, 2011
  4. Memphix

Jasp

Wouldn't it be as simple as reversing the Motion in Light & Motion in Dark key functions settings.

Normally a PIR is set up to not work during the day and then trigger when it senses motion at night.
    If I understand correctly, you want the opposite; where you want to trigger during the day and not work at night.

So normally the Key Functions are:
    ML - Retrigger Timer, Idle, Idle, Idle (Day Move)
    MD - On Key, Retrigger Timer, Retrigger Timer, Idle (Night Move)

Try:
    ML - On Key, Retrigger Timer, Retrigger Timer, Idle (Night Move)
    MD - Retrigger Timer, Idle, Idle, Idle (Day Move)

This will reverse its function.
    Tick the "Use Same Response Settings as "Motion in Light" checkbox.

You can always check whether its working without having one by dropping a unit into a Fake Toolkit project
    then creating a Fake PICED project to match and put PICED into 'Simulation Mode' to watch it work.
    (Actually not sure whether this will work with a PIR.... sorry, thinking too far ahead of myself!)

Attached Files:

• PIR.jpg
      PIR.jpg
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
    Jasp, Jun 17, 2011
  5. Memphix

Memphix

Thanks for the reply.

It needs to be set by time of day, not level of light though.

Memphix, Jun 20, 2011
  6. Memphix

Memphix

Got my hands on some stock before its installed...

Confirmed with Multi sensor (5753PEIRL, firmware 2.3.00).
    The same group address within a sensor that is also in the sensors disables and in a key input unit will function as:
    - Sensor will timeout (time continues) if it turns on the group address.
    - Sensor will not timeout (disabled, timer stops) if the switch turns on the group address.

* Noted: If using a different group address for disables... turning off the disables group address does not continue or start the timer within the sensor. ie: the sensor must detect motion before starting the timer OR turn off the light/group address as well as turning off the disables group address. ;)

Memphix, Jul 14, 2011
Ask a Question