Pir sensors

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Veryrainyday, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Veryrainyday

Veryrainyday

Building a new house and thinking about whether or not to put PIRs into a walk in robe, a few linen cupboards and a pantry. Overall a bit sceptical around the usability of relying solely on a PIR as to whether to turn a light on or not instead of just using a regular switch. I guess a matter of taste to a certain extent but also comes down to thinks like, is there quality sensing of enough darkness, avoidance of false sensing, ease of setting delay timeout etc. Does anyone have a few thoughts on this as a good or bad idea?

Veryrainyday, Jan 8, 2016
  2. Veryrainyday

conor1

Pir

Hi
    Would recommend pirs for these areas especially the ones were generally your hands may already be full ,have been fitting them for years in these locations without fault or problems , may be worth having a switch as well as some times we have clients who like to have an override facility .

Cheers
    Conor

conor1, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Veryrainyday

Veryrainyday

What about bathrooms? Thinking about a PIR for basin/toilet area and a switch for shower (light/fan) but thinking that may be overkill ba just regular switches

Veryrainyday, Jan 16, 2016
  4. Veryrainyday

conor1

Pir

Would be a nice feature to have both and would give you the most flexibility , I havnt installed pir in my main bathroom but miss this feature . I use a Saturn 4 button outside my bathroom with a few scenes and timer functions but would like these as a feature when having a bath and pir to bring basic lighting when nipping in and out .
    Cheers
    Conor

conor1, Jan 16, 2016
  5. Veryrainyday

Matthew

Is there natural light? do you need them to come on when ever you enter?
    Do you want lights that come on on your mid night visit?
    Some do, some don't.
    Some like it dimmed, in which case you'll need a logic engine.

Matthew, Jan 24, 2016
  6. Veryrainyday

znelbok

Totally agree here. Areas where you enter with your hands full are excellent candidates for PIR's, but always add a switch for over-ride control. You don't want the light turning off while you are working in that area in a blind spot of the PIR.

As for bathrooms etc, personal preference. I have one in the vanity area of a three way bathroom so that you can enter at night and it comes on a 20% so you can see just enough to get through or find the switch. Not needed through normal hours at all though.

znelbok, Jan 24, 2016
Ask a Question