PIR sensitivity

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by ColinNz, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ColinNz

ColinNz

A PIR located outside and 'guarding' a gate is continually giving off false signals; possibly caused by trees blowing in the wind. Other than chopping down the trees, is there a setting l could use to desensitise the pick up rate of the PIR?

Cheers

ColinNz, Sep 16, 2006
  2. ColinNz

Jesmond

Hi ColinNz,

I found increasing the DBOUCE setting has been sucessful for a simular problem I had.

Regards

Jesmond, Sep 17, 2006
  3. ColinNz

daniel C-Busser Moderator

that's DEBOUNCE

(just so future search queries pick up this thread... cheers!)

daniel, Sep 17, 2006
  4. ColinNz

Jesmond

Thanks Daniel,

Must have been excited I could finaly answer a question rather than post one.....:D

Jesmond, Sep 18, 2006
  5. ColinNz

Custom

I have been experiencing similar false triggers. We have just installed 5 - 5750WPL external PIR's to a large house on a small windy coastal block. The false triggers may be picking up neighbours trees or pets etc. The 5750WPL only has the Light Level trim pot onboard and not the same (3) trim pots - Sensitivity, Timer, Light Level as the standard 240v 750WPR PIR.

What Debounce settings have you found to be successful? I could adjust the Debounce settings for trials but this may take several days to get right as by doing walk tests during the day and then at night the temperature drops and the PIR's will be more sensitive. I have re-aimed the PIR's and was thinking that masking the lens may be needed.

Custom, May 13, 2007
  6. ColinNz

Hi,
    48ms is the default, but you dont want to expand it out too much. Bottom line it depends on the environment, so its hard to give a recommended value (indoor will differ from outdoor). However, start by doubling it and see how it goes from there.

Age, May 21, 2007
  7. ColinNz

Newman

The default debounce interval is set to 96ms for the PIRs and you cannot set it to shorter than this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
    Newman, May 21, 2007
  8. ColinNz

Sorry 48ms is the standard key input.:)

Age, May 21, 2007
  9. ColinNz

Custom

Thanks for your reply. I have set the debounce to 448ms (in steps) on the external PIR that seems to be the worst culprit for false triggering. It protects a narrow walkway close to the neighbours boundary and by aiming the PIR straight down with the above settings it seems to have fixed the problem, and still activates when a person passes below. As I said in the original post the block is on a costal (very windy) location. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
    Custom, May 21, 2007
Ask a Question