PIR over-riding key input

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fido, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Fido

Fido

This may be a simple solution but being a new user I am stumped. I have my outdoor carport and driveway lights able to be turned on by a key input. I also have an external PIR set to turn on the lights for 5 minutes if activated at night. Problem is that if I have turned on the lights using the key input if the PIR goes on it will then turn off the lights in 5 minutes regardless, which is not what I want. So basically I want to program that the PIR setting for that group is to turn off after 5 minutes only if the group was not on when first activated by the PIR.

Fido, Jan 30, 2006
  2. Fido

RossW

I've had similar scenarios, and my easiest work-around has been to disable the PIR with the group it controls. Ie, in the senpirss config, bottom right under "enable group" change to "disable" and put the group address of "driveway_lights". When you manually turn the lights on, the PIR is disabled.
    If the PIR triggers while the lights are OFF, it will turn them on, wait the delay period, then turn them off again (disable doesn't prevent the timer expired event from running).

RossW, Jan 30, 2006
  3. Fido

Charlie Crackle

Easy to do with logic on the output unit. Just .OR. the two group addresses on the output

one group address for the switch and another for the PIR

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
    Charlie Crackle, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Fido

PSC

HELLO... Earth to Charlie...

Do you think Fido is going to understand how to do this? It's not even written in English :confused:

If you are going to give advice to a NEW user, try offering a little more detail; hang-on - A LOT MORE DETAIL...

PSC, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Fido

Fido

Thanks for the suggestions. Being a newbie I will go with RossW's suggestion and then play around with the logic options when I have a few more hours under the belt.

Fido, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Fido

rhamer

PSC you really need to work on your bedside manner.

If you wish to expand on an answer, then go ahead. Running down someone else because you think their answer is inadequate just makes you look stupid.

I wish I was half as smart as you think you are.

rhamer, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Fido

PSC

Rohan,

Thanks for your advice and opinion. Sorry that I have upset you.

If I had the time today to expand on an answer I would.

I was simply suggesting that if you are going to offer advice, make it good, clear & easy to follow; especially when a person starts their very first forum post with "This may be a simple solution but being a new user I am stumped."

Think on the bright side Rohan, you seem to be stumped for a clever phrase to put as your Cbus forum signature - maybe you just found it :D

PSC, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Fido

marka

rhamer - looking stupid is an under statement
    after looking at this site for a while it seems that there are a lot of 1st timers having a go

after looking at a number of posts -psc seems to have a lot to say.
    some good -some bad
    maybe you should tone down a bit psc
    not everyone is a rocket scientist.;)

marka, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Fido

Charlie Crackle

Instead of shooting me down offer the detail !

I agree about the english typos. I have fixed these. It was 1.00 am in the morning and I noticed no one was helping him with an answer. I too did not want to spend 1/2 an hour giving step by step instructions. I am sure there are 100 people on this forum who could have answered this one and did not for the same reasons (time it will take). I thought I would give fido enough to make him look and read the help file on logic. If he needed more explanation then all he needed to do was ask.

I thought something was better than nothing.....

Thanks Rhamer and Marka for you support here !!

Fido if you need more info I am happy to do this. Have a look at the logic screens on the outputs and the help file on logic and then ask a question

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Fido

PSC

Thanks for all your advice guys :)

I guess some people are stupid and some people just look stupid.

I'm glad I just look stupid. :cool:

PSC, Jan 31, 2006
  11. Fido

Ross

*yawn*

Now come on kiddies, Duncan will have another thread to close at this rate.

Ross, Jan 31, 2006
  12. Fido

PSC

I was hardly shooting you down, I was just sharing my opinion - just like Rharmer & Marka.

As I stated earlier if I had the time to offer good, complete and easy to follow advice I would have. Hence the reason not to answer the post in the first place.

PSC, Jan 31, 2006
  13. Fido

Ashley W

This has one downside though and that is if you want to use a key input unit to turn off the light when triggered by the PIR you can only do it by allocating the group the PIR is controlling to another key on a key input unit. I never thought of using the load address to disable the PIR. That too has a downside in that you cannot then not allocate a group to disable the PIR.

Ashley W, Jan 31, 2006
  14. Fido

PSC

Ok, just to keep everyone happy.

Fido,

In Toolkit double click on the dimmer / relay that contains the 'Driveway Lights' group address.

Select the 'Logic' tab, put a tick in the corresponding channel box. i.e. if the 'Driveway Lights' reside on channel 8, put a tick in box 8 on the first line. Click on the green '+' symbol on the same line and create a new group address call 'Driveway Logic'. Make sure you select the 'Max' option (OR logic) ? the default is Min. Select 'OK' and save the changes to the database and network.

In Toolkit double click on the PIR that you want to control the 'Driveway Lights', click on the drop down box for the 'Night-time movement (DA)' option and select the group address 'Driveway Logic'. In the same window, to the right of screen click on the drop down box for the 'Sensor Enable / Disable' option and select 'Driveway Lights', be sure to select the 'Disables' option as well. Select 'OK' and save the changes to the database and network.

The last thing to do is program your switch, nothing special just select the group address "Driveway Lights'.

Now everytime you turn the switch on the PIR will be disabled, i.e. the 'Driveway Lights' will stay on until you turn the switch off. Turning the switch off will enable the PIR again.

I have attached some screen shots if you get stuck.

I hope this helps. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
    PSC, Jan 31, 2006
  15. Fido

Fido

Thanks guys, sorry to have started a stoush. Great forum and I appreciate all the help.

Fido, Feb 1, 2006
Ask a Question