PIR Night Move Set Lighting Level

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stephen Scott, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

I think there will be a simple fix for this but I can't find it.
    PIR Occupancy Sensor 5753L

At night we want any movement sensed by the PIR to turn on some lights to a set percentage for a determined period then turn off.
    I have it turning on for the determined period then switching off however I can't work out why the lighting level stays at 100%

Any help would be appreciated.
    Stephen

Stephen Scott, Sep 16, 2016
  2. Stephen Scott

jorr

Under key function, instead of your short press being set to ON, set it so recall 1, then under the blocks tab, next to the required group address, set the recall 1 to the desired level.

jorr, Nov 8, 2016
  3. Stephen Scott

znelbok

Are you looking for the levels to be different at night? If not recall 1 otherwise it is logic in the dimmer that is required.

znelbok, Nov 9, 2016
  4. Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Thanks for the help so far, I have the switching and time delays working well however the sensors don't seem to like working when completely dark, we get false reads at times when we don't want the lights on!
    I get the feeling that the sensors "switch only in dark" setting doesn't really work.

Regards
    Stephen

Stephen Scott, Dec 21, 2016
  5. Stephen Scott

rikaussie

I've had great difficulty too.... Try adjusting the screw on the unit to be half way. If it's at one extreme or the other things don't work. Even if you disable the adjustment in Toolkit.

Odd.

rikaussie, Dec 22, 2016
  6. Stephen Scott

arrikhan

I've been looking for examples of how to achieve this with logic. Have you done this before?

ie: different light level 'at night'?

Regards,

BenC

arrikhan, Jan 7, 2017
  7. Stephen Scott

NickD Moderator

The "logic" referred to here is the output unit "min/max" logic that you see on the "Logic" tab of the output unit.

For a dimmer, you add a group in here and select which channel(s) you want it to be associated with, and whether you want "min" or "max" logic.

If you select "min" then the resulting output will be the minimum of the logic group level or the channel group level.

To get your lights to have different level at night, assign a new group eg "Night Light Level" to a logic channel in all of your dimmers, and then select "Min" logic for each channel you want to be lower at night.

You then need to set "Night Light Level" to a lower value during the night. You could use a schedule, or scenes, or logic to do this depending on you you want it to work. In my case I have the "Goodnight" scene set the "Night Light Level" group to 30% and then a schedule that sets it back to 100% at sunrise.

Nick

NickD, Jan 9, 2017
  8. Stephen Scott

arrikhan

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

So on a 5753PEIRL, is that the same as using virtual keys?

I essentially have have two lights in my bathroom. A Main light and a shelf light controlled by a 5753PEIRL. Currently they just go on based on activity for x minutes (different timers for each)

Between 10pmish and 7am I wanted to only turn the shelf light on for x hours to handle the quick pees in the middle of the night (allowing for a switch to turn on main light if necessary) rather than the main light waking people up.

When you mentioned logic i thought you were referring to program logic (I also have a wiser) rather than unit logic that you've referenced.

Anyway, I'm trying to change light behaviour during different times of day.

I'm struggling to find the combination.

BenC

arrikhan, Jan 10, 2017
  9. Stephen Scott

znelbok

You need logic to set the two min group levels at the desired times.

If you are happy to have the shelf light turn on at 100% then only one min group required. This will set the man light logic group to 0 between 10 & 7.

So this is how it would work

Two groups, "Man Light" and "Man Light Min". The channel has the group "Man Light" assigned to it and the logic group has "Man Light Min" assigned to it and set to minimum.

At 10ish your wiser will set the group "Man Light Min" to 0

The motion sensor will see motion and turn on the group "Man Light", but because the group "Man Light Min" is set to 0 the light will not turn on (the dimmer looks at the two groups and uses the lowest value - 0).

At 7 the group "Man Light Min" is set to 100.

Motion now turns the group "Man Light" on to 100 and because "Man Light Min" is also 100 then the dimmer ramps to 100.

If you want the shelf light to turn on at say 40% (not too bright in the middle of the night) then a second min group is needed and is set to 40% at 10 and 100% at 7.

The logic refereed to by NickD is in the dimmer module itself, but the changing of the groups at specific times has to be done else where.

Hope that clears it up a little

znelbok, Jan 11, 2017
Ask a Question