Pierlite Starburst Dimmerable LED downlights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetz, Jul 22, 2010.

1. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Guys,

For those who might have missed the release of a dimmable LED downlight that actually works and in C-Bus compatible. Pierlite Starburst LED downlights. http://www.pierlite.com/au/16259/starburst

Having seen what the best of the CFL's can deliver which by any fair measure falls well short of the mark it is refreshing to see an option in the energy efficiency market.

I have just had a chance to evaluate a Starbust and it stacks up very well against a Osram 35W IRC Decostar.

Hopefully the release of this Starburst will see some more brands coming through to the market. Crompton does exactly the same LED downlight different colour packaging but out the same factory under the Gerard Lighting stable. http://onlinelighting.com.au/download/Crompton/XL_LED_TDS_SPECS.pdf

I hooked the Starburst to a dimmer channel and it worked well I would estimate it is on around 5%-10% and dimmed linear to 100%. The colour temperature is a warm 3000K and is a nice living light; unlike the halogen the colour temp remained constant on the Starburst. Well I couldn't see any variation over the dimmed range.

Beam angle is 55 degrees with no other beam angle options so general living applications are served well but not if you what spotlights and tight lighting.

A maximmum of 6 Starburst per dimmer channel which is a limitation of the capacitance loading on the dimmers as the total input power is 16W (Driver 4W and LED 12W). The Starburst has a 47nF input capacitance 6 X 47nF= just less than the maximum 300nF rating.

One will hope that over time the price will come down with increased volumes and more competition in the market.....I know Gerard would hate to see a monopoly for to too long!!:rolleyes: High end installation where $$$ are not tight will be no problem but at around $130 a LED, fitting and driver the domestic market might be slower on the up take.

As Ashleigh pointed out in an earlier thread it is the total cost of ownership that should be taken into account. The initial cost is ouch but if you only other option is dimmable CFL then the break even on these LED is probably < 2 years a lot less. I have a friend who has lots dimmable Megamann?s and they are flickering already after 3-4 months....$30 a pop! Comparing the lights is I believe chalk and cheese.

Thought I would start a separate thread as some may have missed the release of these in a thread I started on "MR16 halogen IRC Decostar much longer??" I know LED's, CFL"s and the phasing out of Halogen has been a topic of interest here.

Wish these were available two years ago when I built my house:(

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jul 22, 2010
  2. fleetz

RossW

I'm constantly puzzled by these claims.

When I built my place around 5 years ago, I used all Megaman GU10 style CFL lamps. 120 in all. They're *ALL* run off c-bus dimmer channels (ok, I think there are 3 that are on relay channels).

After this period of time, I've had about 8 fail. In 5 years. I have 2 more that are about to fail (blinking intermittently after they've been on for 5 mins or so, but then settle down)

They cost me, from memory, $13 each - which was the CFL *AND* the downlight fixture itself. An extra buck for the molded 3-pin-plug and 1.5m lead that I put on each (I pre-wired the place with fan sockets in the roof-space so I could just plug in the lights when the suspended ceiling went up)

The biggest problem I have with them is the minute odd warmup time before they get to decent brightness. Not so bad in summer, but a PITA in winter.

So.... did I get a spectacularly good deal, did the prices go up, or is everyone else being ripped off today? (And no, I didn't buy them from china, they were from the local clipsal wholesaler)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
    RossW, Jul 25, 2010
  3. fleetz

fleetz

http://www.todae.com.au/Products/compactfluoroglobes/megaman11wdimmerabledownlightsmoothdimming/

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GU10-Linear-...wItem&pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item27b3b23c70

http://www.ozlighting.com.au/Megaman-Dimmerable-GU10-Reflector-Energy-Saving-Lamp-P2173.aspx

Results from a google here in Australia turned up the above on the Megaman BR1411d I assume we are talking about that bulb? This what I am talking about. I am also looking at that what people would be paying for them hence $130 for the new LED dimable Pierlite/Crompton and around $30 for the Megaman.

I have no idea why the difference in experience? I can only impart mine, others can and have done likewise. Have Megaman changed where they are manufactured? Something seems to have changed.

The other thing that effects their life span is they need to be run at maximum at turn on for a minute or two before you dim them down.

The other issue up here (FNQ) is that the 90-100 degree CFL and ceiling fans are a PITA. You need to put a good more CFL in if you want good light levels and it is differcult to get too close to the fans because of light cavitation which is also a PITA.

All I am saying is based on my experience I am pleased that finally the LED's have stepped up to the plate and provided an alternative to CFL's. LED's will need to come down in price which I am sure they will, the cost of ownership argument can be a hard one when people look at bottom line price.

I personally do not like fluoro as a light source, we are all different......makes the world an interesting place. I am pleased your experience is different to mine.

Fleetz

fleetz, Jul 25, 2010
  4. fleetz

theboyg

Hi

Would these Megaman Dimmable CFL's be suitable for a 8x1Amp Dimmer module ?

http://www.megamanuk.com/pdfs/dimmerable-series.pdf (Page 2)

The prices of the Starburst are not a pratical option (!)

or

Is there a simple checklist of what we need to look for in a dimmable LED ? I really want to ditch 30 x 50W Halogen lamps in my house.

Thanks

theboyg, Sep 27, 2010
  5. fleetz

NickD Moderator

If reading here is any indication, then the answer is "who knows"... the only safe solution is to try it yourself.

You get what you pay for.... but out of interest, what is the relative cost of these Megaman CFLs vs the Starburst in your neck of the woods (I assuming you're in the UK?).

The other factor is the life... those Megaman ones claim 10k hours, where the Starburst claims 50k, so right there is at least a factor of 5.. in the overall cost. I say "at least" because if anything I would expect this factor to be slightly greater, as from past experience, quoted CFL lifetimes are in ideal (ie unrealistic) conditions, and reduce dramatically in real-world (domestic) use.

Not really... starting with good quality LED parts is a start, but a lot of it is down to the electronics that drives the LED. Perhaps we need a sticky thread here of who's tried what and what worked.

Personally.. if you have 30 x 50W halogens I'd recommend you go out right now and replace them all with quality (Osram/Phillips) 35W IRC halogens, which will give you the same might output at 30% less power consumption, and wait until quality LED MR16 replacements are more common/cheaper..

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
    NickD, Sep 28, 2010
  6. fleetz

theboyg

I bought one of each to test and put them on side by side.

Relative cost. Megamans are ?10 here, Aurora's are ?30 min. Aurora's are better , but three times better ? Not so sure. The megamans have a startup delay, but again, 1/3 of the price of the aurora's.

My primary reason is energy saving, but not from the bulbs. I want to remove the need to have a large gap in the rock wool insulation in the loft space required when using halogens. If I replace with LED GU10's, in a fire rated enclosure, I can then cover up with the insulation.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
    theboyg, Sep 30, 2010
  7. fleetz

NickD Moderator

What is the Aurora? I was talking about the "Starburst" - is it the same thing?

Ah.. here is Australia we have these things which address that to some extent...

Nick

NickD, Oct 1, 2010
  8. fleetz

theboyg

I'm having a mad week. The Aurora's are pretty good. The Starbursts need to be imported from Oz, and are ?130. So 13x the price of the Megaman's here.

theboyg, Oct 1, 2010
  9. fleetz

cyclone

I've purchased 4 of these.
    2 lights x 2 circuits on Cbus dimmer.

Very impressive.

16 watts at 100%

Nice even light

In toolkit i did increase the min/max level to 15%

cyclone, Jun 15, 2011
Ask a Question