PICED Connections

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by shovetts, Oct 12, 2020.

1. shovetts

shovetts

Hello

I have a C-Touch 5000CT MK1. I am trying to connect to it to retrieve the program that is on there so I can change it.

My laptop is Windows 10, and I am connecting using a 5500PC-U via the USB to my laptop, and an ethernet cable to the C-BUS system. I can connect fine with Toolkit and make changes but I cannot connect using PICED.

Is there an idiots guide to this, how I should connect?

I have been trying but everytime it will not connect to C-BUS, networked failed, check ports. PICED can see the 5500 unit address as 250. COM port correct. If I try and retrieve the file from the unit it shows the correct port number, always fails and advises to check port number.

I feel I am missing something, but just can't work it out.

5000CT C-BUS firmware 4.2.00 and C-Touch firmware is 3.80.0 (maybe wrong)
    Hardware version = 1. Monitor version = 1.1

Any help..pointers..bangs on the head greatly appreciated.

Cheers

shovetts, Oct 12, 2020
  2. shovetts

Ashley

PICED connects to the 5000CT via it's own RS232 port, not via Cbus. You need a serial port on your laptop (or a good USB to serial adapter).

Not sure what you mean but connecting to Cbus via ethernet. I hope you are not plugging an ethernet cable directly into a Cbus RJ45 port.

Ashley, Oct 12, 2020
  3. shovetts

shovetts

thanks for the reply...the ethernet was going via the PCI to C-BUS...

It's the USB to serial, then serial to RJ45 that seems to not work. I have followed pin outs suggested on here, but the connection never works. Does any one sell a cable that works, rather than having to make one?

shovetts, Oct 12, 2020
  4. shovetts

chromus

What USB<>serial adapter are u using? Cheap chipsets often don't work, you need a genuine FTDI chipset to work reliably.

Knock offs and the CH340 chips are always buggy.

As a rule if the adapter cost les than $20 its probably a knockoff.

chromus, Oct 13, 2020
  5. shovetts

shovetts

I am using a ($45) Comsol cable from officeworks. I read on here that it should work. It's the part from the serial to the rj45 that i am unsure about. I keep seeing pinouts, but am unsure on how to do this.

shovetts, Oct 13, 2020
  6. shovetts

chromus

The Comsol is a genuine, it was worth checking that bit as you could have been chasing the wrong problem.

chromus, Oct 13, 2020
  7. shovetts

shovetts

Not sure what you mean..cable is a genuine comsol cable. Its the rj45 I am confused about.

shovetts, Oct 13, 2020
  8. shovetts

DarylMc

Attached Files:

DarylMc, Oct 13, 2020
  9. shovetts

shovetts

Thank you for that, but that only shows wiring for the PC Interface serial port. I am trying to find out what the wiring would be for the RJ45 to serial from the C-Touch screen, as I will be connecting from USB to serial (comsol cable) on the PC to the RJ45 on the C-Touch screen.

Another forum member listed these as the pinouts. Are these correct. They never replied if they worked.
    RS232.....RJ45

thanks

shovetts, Oct 14, 2020
  10. shovetts

Ashley

These are correct. I checked with my cable.

Ashley, Oct 14, 2020
    DarylMc likes this.
  11. shovetts

shovetts

great I will try these...thank you so much for confirming. :)

shovetts, Oct 14, 2020
  12. shovetts

stereo247

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread but I'm struggling to connect to my 5500CT Mk1 B&W as well. My connection is via a USB to RJ45 console cable with the correct FTDI chipset. I connect to COM3 (as per Windows10 Device Manager) but get the error message 'Cannot Connect to Unit'. I'm trying to download the existing program from the unit. Any advice?

stereo247, May 3, 2021
  13. shovetts

Ashley

Where did this cable come from? There is no standard for serial RJ45 connections, so if you just purchased a random cable the RJ45 connections are probably incorrect.

Ashley, May 3, 2021
  14. shovetts

shovetts

My connection is via a USB to RJ45 console cable with the correct FTDI chipset.

I tried a few USB to serial cables and found the Office Works one worked for me. Lots of others said the chipset was correct, but they didn't work. I had to make my own Serial to RJ45 adapter to connect to my 5000CT MK1 screen via the Comsol cable. Bit of a dogs breakfast to get it to work, but it did work.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...le-serial-rs232-9-pin-adaptor-1-5m-cou209m015

shovetts, May 3, 2021
  15. shovetts

stereo247

stereo247, May 3, 2021
  16. shovetts

shovetts

I had a few that I tried that said that, and that cable looks correct. I just know the Officeworks one worked for me. It's not cheap, but I wasted money on a few cheap ones. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay, but just check they are genuine Comsol. Also mine was USB to Serial, not RJ45.

shovetts, May 3, 2021
  17. shovetts

Ashley

That looks like a router/switch cable which would have have Rx data (DB9 pin 2) going to RJ45 pin 3 instead of pin 5.

What I do is get a standard USB to serial DB9 (male) lead, then build a DB9 to RJ45 adapter using one of these:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/d9-female...8d5e07c8b082ae8122de72c2864cb9&sort=relevance

You only need to push in 3 of the pins as detailed above.

Ashley, May 3, 2021
  18. shovetts

stereo247

Based on Ashley’s advice I tried a pin reassignment via a RJ45 connector board I had laying about but it didn’t work. So as indicated above I think it’s a chipset issue. Will try RS here in SA and see if they’ve got a pricier option.

stereo247, May 3, 2021
  19. shovetts

Ashley

To check the cable just join the Rx and Tx lines together, then run a terminal emulator like Terra Term. Make sure local echo is turned off, then as you type characters they should be echoed back to you. If this works then it should work with the Touch Screen if you get the connections correct. Some USB-Serial devices require the handshake lines (DTR, CTS, RTS etc) to be connected (i.e. looped back) to work.

Ashley, May 4, 2021
  20. shovetts

stereo247

Tried that Ashley and I couldn't replicate the echo back. Tried shorting the handshake lines as well. Maybe I missed something so ill give it another go later. But thanks for the assistance and advice. Appreciated.

stereo247, May 4, 2021
Ask a Question