PICED and Toolkit running at the same time

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Memphix, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Memphix

Memphix

I read this on the Wiser documentation:

Do not run C-Bus Toolkit software and PICED at the same time on your computer. Both applications use the C-Gate program but in slightly different modes of operation.

Does this still apply with the latest versions?

I've had a problem where I cant get the logic engine running on the Wiser. Scenes are working, not sure about schedules. I've tried powering off/on, uploading firmware with no luck. Could running PICED and Toolkit (with Toolkit connect online) be the issue? I cant test unless I return to site now. I've had a similar issue with a PAC unit (support walked me through so many things I'm not sure what the solution was).

Memphix, Oct 2, 2012
  2. Memphix

kjayakumar

A common issue I encounter is that Toolkit is running and connected to the Wiser which means Wiser scenes/schedules/logic can't affect C-Bus because Wiser is put into transparent mode by Toolkit. Closing connections and exiting toolkit ensures Wiser is in normal mode.

The other thing that tends to catch people is that Wiser logic takes about 3-5 minutes after bootup to get started. I would check on the Wiser's access to internet (which it needs to get date&time if ntp is enabled) and the C-Bus time source (typically the Wiser's CNI) if it is taking longer than that.

kjayakumar, Oct 2, 2012
  3. Memphix

Memphix

Is that if your using the Wisers CNI, what if I'm using a PCI to connect Toolkit?

5 minutes for logic to load up?! I might not of waited that long with most checks, but I did go off and check other things for 10+ minutes without it loading up.

Memphix, Oct 4, 2012
  4. Memphix

kjayakumar

Yup, that's only if you're using the Wiser's CNI. If you're using a separate PCI, then there is no conflict. The 5 minutes is just my maximum time guess. It is typically faster than that.

kjayakumar, Oct 4, 2012
  5. Memphix

Robbo_VIC

I find a good way to ensure the logic is loading up while testing, is to put a few commands to turn ON/OFF certain group address in the "Initialisation" section of the Logic Engine. This helps to know that the Logic Engine is booting up.

Robbo_VIC, Oct 4, 2012
  6. Memphix

Memphix

Thanks for the replies.

Scratching my head as to why the logic wasnt running. Options were greyed out when i chose to connect to it from the PC, no restart option. I will keep the initialisation in mind, just put in a dummy address i take it.

Memphix, Oct 4, 2012
  7. Memphix

Robbo_VIC

I usually put in the group address of a set of lights nearby so you can see it physically turn on.

Robbo_VIC, Oct 4, 2012
  8. Memphix

Mr Mark

socket option?

Not quite on thread here, but I've tried sending info out via a socket on the Wiser at startup, but never had much luck. In a previous version of PICED this would work about 10% of the time even allowing for quite lengthy delays - not sure what version that was but it hasn't worked for the last few upgrades. The same code works on a colour touch screen, Home Gate, Schedule Plus and PICED just not on the Wiser. Ideally we could use this function to send notifications through to W7MC and display this info on the telly. Not a priority, just something that's been kicking around here at home.

Maybe need to wait for Wiser2? :rolleyes:

Mark

Hmm... now I've said this, I really need to try with the latest version.
    Here's hoping for egg on my face!

Mr Mark, Oct 4, 2012
Ask a Question