PICED and C-Gate not connecting

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Phantom99, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Phantom99

Phantom99

Hi there,
    I am a little puzzled by PICED (not the first time).:confused:
    I have a
    Wiser on 192.168.20.241
    CNI on 192.168.20.240 port 10001

I can connect C-Bus Toolkit with out problem (using above CNI IP and port).
    I can find the CNI using the IP config utility and it shows the above settings.

When I attempt to connect PICED (which I have previously done), it prompts with the connection box and asks for a project.
    I select remote connection and put in the Wiser address with the two port addresses as 10001.
    The C-Gate dialogue appears (saying it can't connect and will retry in x seconds). If from this dialogue I change C-Gate settings it shows the local 127.0.0.0 address. So I change it to 192.168.20.241 (and I have tried 192.168.20.240).
    Neither work, and it just keeps retrying.

I'm not sure as to what to try next.
    Any clues as to what is not set right?

Phantom99, Nov 25, 2013
  2. Phantom99

kjayakumar

The CNI is how Wiser talks to C-Bus. If you connect toolkit to your CNI (20.240) then your Wiser cannot talk to C-Bus, unless you have another CNI. The typical usage is the Wiser is the only thing that is ever connected to the CNI. When you wish to connect Toolkit, you specify the IP address and CNI port of your Wiser which would be 20.241 port 10001, ie: __not__ the CNI directly. This is called transparent mode. While your Wiser is in transparent mode, schedules/scenes/c-bus activity will be discarded, ie: not delivered to the C-Bus network. Only after toolkit disconnection will your Wiser reconnect to C-Bus.

When you transfer a project to your Wiser using PICED, if it is a local transfer ie: your PC running PICED is on the same subnet as your Wiser, you don't need to specify any port. If you are doing a remote transfer, then you specify the remote IP and leave the ports unchanged unless you're doing some form of port mapping/forwarding on another upstream router (8336/8337 would be the normal ports that PICED uses). It would be highly unlikely to be port 10000 or 14000 because those are CNI ports.

Hope that helps.

kjayakumar, Nov 27, 2013
  3. Phantom99

Phantom99

Hi there,
    Thanks for the previous response.

Still no luck.
    I am using Wiser's 192.168.20.241 as the c-gate address, and ports left blank.

I can connect c-bus toolkit, and via browser straight to wiser, and I can ping to the Wiser address 192.168.20.241.

Yet, PICED simply keeps throwing up the "connecting to c-gate" message.

Phantom99, Dec 2, 2013
  4. Phantom99

kjayakumar

I'm not sure what you mean by "as the c-gate address". You don't need to start or configure c-gate manually for most scenarios. Are you trying to use toolkit to configure your C-Bus network or are you trying to use PICED to transfer a project to your Wiser?

kjayakumar, Dec 3, 2013
  5. Phantom99

Phantom99

YES - I'm trying to use PICED to transfer a project from Wiser, modify and download back to Wiser.
    I have made some "interesting progress".
    I had deleted the original program from the clipsal/PICED/projects/my-projects folder.
    So when I start PICED it seems to have no reference to where the Wiser is. The dialogue that opens has local or remote (local being 127.0.0.0), and two port addresses (2xxxx) under this local or remote choice.
    I select remote, and specify 192.168.20.241 and delete the port numbers (per your previous suggestion that this shouldn't be necessary).
    Oh, and I typically need to hit "back" and specify Wiser as the device first. It defaults to c-touch panel in this step.
    Then when I hit the ok button it times out after a few seconds and shows a smaller pop up box with "connecting to c-gate", a retry timer (20seconds from memory) and buttons to;
    close PICED,
    Change c-gate settings
    Retry c-gate connection now.
    Despite having specifying 192.168.29.241 in the original dialogue box, when I go to the change c-gate settings button it shows 127.0.0.0. I change this to 192.168.20.241 and it still just continually times out.

So then, I reloaded the old project file into the clipsal/PICED/process/my-projects folder (a copy of what is in the Wiser and I want to change).
    I am then prompted with a different dialogue box, but it allows me to again specify the same 192.168.20.241 IP address and it has a different default port addresses (8xxx). Leaving the default port address and entering the ip, and voila - it automatically connects and asks me if I want to retrieve the project file from the wiser. All works from there.
    So my concern is, why is it reliant on the project file being loaded?
    I have to setup a new machine and I'm not confident I will be able to connect again. I'm tying to figure out what is wrong with the configuration or default settings. Clearly the network connections for both PC and wiser are valid.
    Your continued help would be appreciated.

Phantom99, Dec 4, 2013
  6. Phantom99

kjayakumar

I haven't fully understood your description as it does not match what I see.

When I start PICED, the first thing it asks me to do is select which project I want to use. I don't see a dialog or anything asking about Wiser or IP address/ports. Once I've selected a Wiser project, I don't get any dialog unless I explicitly click on one like Project Details which is where I can tell PICED about the IP address of the Wiser.

PICED is used for all different kinds of devices, so it can't assume you're talking to a Wiser. PICED must have a project file because that's what tells it what kind of device you want to use. You can either retrieve a project from the Wiser or create a new one. PICED offers you the retrieve project from unit by default because that way, you can backup any power history on the Wiser or saved edits to your PC.

I'm not sure, but it sort of sounds like you've configured your PICED to try to access C-Gate on the IP address of the Wiser, ie: 192.168.20.241 which isn't correct because there is no C-Gate on Wiser and that would explain the errors you are seeing. C-Gate runs on your PC itself and is automatically started when you start PICED. The default value of 127.0.0.1 is correct for C-Gate.

Hope that helps.

kjayakumar, Dec 4, 2013
  7. Phantom99

Phantom99

Thanks, I'll try to post some screen grabs.

Phantom99, Dec 4, 2013
Ask a Question