Photos of burned - damaged L5512 relays

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by 2SC, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 2SC

2SC

Could you please send me via email photos of L5512 that are burned down from electrical short?
    Thanks in advance.

2SC, Jun 12, 2012
  2. 2SC

Newman

Can I ask, why would you be asking other users to post images of destroyed units? In most countries it is a requirement for C-Bus units to be installed on circuits that are MCB protected and the MCB will trip before any damage is done to the relay unit. If there is an internal fault then there are several levels of protection inside the devices to ensure they fail safely.

The most likely cause of a unit catching fire is due to contamination inside the unit. I have seen a couple units destroyed where closer inspection showed them to contain lots of wire off-cuts that had been allowed to fall inside the unit's enclosure.

Newman, Jun 13, 2012
  3. 2SC

2SC

Hi Newman.

Using C-Bus to my projects several years now and servicing a lot more installations, just once a relay unit was destroyed in a way that the plastic cover melted near the LNE wire terminals.

I do not want anyone to post these photos. I just asked the photos to be emailed to me.

2SC, Jun 13, 2012
  4. 2SC

Matthew

The smoke got out!

Hi 2SC
    I had 2 of these where the smoke had got out, but I just sold them to someone smarter than I to fix. I believe they were used in a commercial application where they had circuits of different phases connected to adjacent relays. Somehow there was a short between the phases and the relay compartment became carbon black. The adjacent relay and control sections in the unit were still clean as new. The only part of the enclosure melted was quite small around the terminal screw that carried the fault current.

I have a few photos, let me know where to send them.

Matthew, Jun 13, 2012
Ask a Question