Philips Ledmaster Globes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jack Bond, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Jack Bond

Jack Bond

Hi all,

I have installed a combination of Ledmaster 7watt and 10watt (MR16) globes throughout my house and i'm having issues with the noise that they are generating. There seems to be 2 different issues:
    1. some of the globes make an unbearable vibration noise.
    2. the rest of the globesthat are not vibrating still seem to make a high pitched noise.

Now, i am aware that these globes do have a cooling fan inside but i have decided that the noise during "quiet times" is not acceptable.

Does anybody out there have any feedback about this issue ??

Jack Bond, Aug 24, 2012
  2. Jack Bond

Newman

This is a very common issue with these lamps. As soon as you put a rotating fan inside a light bulb it introduces all kinds of issues. They create audible noise. They create vibration. If you have multiple fans running at similar, but not quite the same, speeds you will get beat frequencies occuring (at a frequency equal to the difference in the speeds), etc. Are they connected to electronic transformers? If so, the high frequency noise you can hear is most likely the electronics inside the lamp.

They may deliver a lot of light in a form factor that is similar to traditional MR16 halogens, but they do bring with them a lot of issues. They're quite fussy about what transformers they can be dimmed with too.

Newman, Aug 24, 2012
  3. Jack Bond

mdooher

The problem is the new ones (no fan) are not dimmable but don't make any noise at all as long as I use the standard Atco possum or the Halcion transformers.

The old ones with the fan are dimmable and again I have only had one make any noise as long as I use the above mentioned transformers.

I have heard that the new ones with no fan are also going dimmable later in the year.... not much help if you already have yours I guess

mdooher, Aug 24, 2012
  4. Jack Bond

Newman

I found the Atco Possum to be pretty unhappy with most LED retrofit lamps, including the Philips Master LED 10W. The Master LED 10W and Possum was fine un-dimmed but became unstable and flickered when connected to a range of different dimmers.

Newman, Aug 24, 2012
Ask a Question