Philips Hue bulb in C-bus wired socket

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MSupp, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MSupp

MSupp

Hi all, sorry for naive question but then hopefully it's easily answered.

If all my lighting is C-Bus but I have E27 sockets, can I put Philips Hue lamps in them?

Through C-Bus I'm guessing that I can control switching on and off of the Hue lamps.
    When switched on the Hue lights will be white but then controllable by various apps so that they can be dimmed, colour changed etc?

Many thanks :)

MSupp, Sep 29, 2015
  2. MSupp

ashleigh Moderator

Very likely.

If on a dimmer channel: depends on how the Hue likes being on a mains circuit that delivers mostly full mains cycles but chops a bit out.

If on a relay channel: probably going to be OK.

Of course, if you turn the channel OFF on C-Bus, its going to be OFF good and proper, and nothing in Hue land will do anything at all.

ashleigh, Sep 30, 2015
  3. MSupp

DarylMc

I've had some Hue bulbs for a while now.
    Philips says
    Having Hue bulbs connected to a relay channel would be pretty good in my opinion.
    Every power cycle they revert to warm white 100% bright.
    I imagine that would be what most people would use most of the time.

It's not too hard to pull the phone out if you want some fancy colours.
    The novelty kind of wears off but a few favourite colours and the ability to tune white shades might really appeal to some people.
    Using the phone for dimming seems a bit unfortunate when you expect CBus to be doing that.

If only CBus could talk to them over TCP and get on/off, a few colours and some dimming happening, that would be very nice:)

DarylMc, Sep 30, 2015
  4. MSupp

znelbok

That is where an HA system comes into play to crate a seamless experience between different products.

Control 4, CQC, Crestron, AMX etc. They can talk to different systems simultaneously and create a single user experience. So you could then press a single button on a touch screen that says "Green", and the C-bus would turn on the Hue lights, and then issue a command over TCP to that light to change to green.

Mick

znelbok, Oct 6, 2015
    DarylMc likes this.
Ask a Question