PE Cell to trigger lights for specific time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ss1987, Apr 14, 2022.

1. ss1987

ss1987

Hi all,
    I'm in the process of planning a new build, and already thinking about how to make the most of my CBus install. Note I'm an electrician however this will be my first experience with the programming side of things. (Currently doing the online fundamentals course).

I plan on having a dedicated PE Cell on an exterior wall that doesn't have any lights. I'd like to use this to trigger outdoor feature lighting at sunset.
    However I don't want the lights to be on all night, just for say 4 hours from sunset.
    Is this possible in toolkit or is more advanced programming required?

ss1987, Apr 14, 2022
  2. ss1987

Ashley

You can't do this with a PE cell but you can with a PIR sensor. like the 5750WPL or 5753L. Both of these have a sunset functions that turns a group on at sunset and off after a specifed time or sunrise, which ever comes first.

Ashley, Apr 14, 2022
  3. ss1987

ss1987

Ah okay good to know. I guess theres not much use for a dedicated PE Cell then...
    Can we use the function you described to perform actions with multiple groups?
    For example, all external lights turn on at sunset with a 4 hour timer, however after the 4 hours one group of lights (front porch) will still react to movement until sunrise.

ss1987, Apr 14, 2022
  4. ss1987

Ashley

The sensors have 4 functions. Movement in light, movement in dark, sunset/sunrise and any movement. Generally movement in dark and movement in light use the same group because when movement in dark turns the light on, it puts the sensor in movement in light mode, although you can trigger different groups during the day and night. So, yes, you can do as you say.

Ashley, Apr 14, 2022
  5. ss1987

ss1987

Just bumping this thread to ask some further questions regarding this sunset switch.
    So I have the PIR done as described above, with it being used as a sunset switch to trigger some outdoor lights for a few hours.
    However, I'd also like to use this to trigger some reading lamps in the front bedroom.
    This room is used as a guest room and would be nice to have lamps trigger at sunset along with the porch lights.
    There are 2 switches for these lights either side of the bed, and I'd still like to be able to override the PIR and turn these lights off if somebody happens to be sleeping in that room. I'd like to do this without affecting the porch lights which will be triggered on the same PIR using the sunset function.
    Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    ss1987, Mar 15, 2023
  6. ss1987

Ashley

Assuming you are not using all 4 functions of the sensor, you can go to the blocks tab and set an unused block to the SS function, then set the blocks group to the bedroom lights. The sensor and bedroom switches will effectively act as a 2 way switch.

Ashley, Mar 15, 2023
  7. ss1987

ss1987

Sounds simple enough I'll give it a go. Thanks again Ashley :)

ss1987, Mar 15, 2023
Ask a Question