PCI Power Cycle Query

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by brathnach, Aug 17, 2007.

1. brathnach

brathnach

Hey guys,

Im trying to get a mono C-Touch working with a Controller Unit through the PCI. I have no problem sending lighting commands to the C-Bus by using the Public Release Protocol. What I have tried doing is setting up an unused group address (020, unused by any of the connected units) on a C-Touch button for issuing commands to the controller. When I open the Toolkit and connect to C-Bus, scan the network, and then disconnect it the PCI will transmit the string associated with the C-Touch button when the associated button is pressed. However the PCI also transmits a '.' or 11 (hex) out the serial port every second or so.

However if the C-Bus is powered down and powered up again the PCI does not transmit the steady '.' (11h) out the serial port nor does it transmit the string associated with the C-Touch button that is pressed. The unit comms LED on the PCI does not flash either, as it would before the power down/up, so it appears that the PCI whether receiving the message or not is not putting it out the serial port. If I turn on this group via the software the C-Touch button confirms it.

If I run the toolkit software again and just scan the network (i.e. no changes) and then exit the toolkit, the PCI recommences transmitting the '.' as before and the C-Touch button is functional once again. Power down and up again and it wont work!

Can anyone explain why this is so?

If it is meant to transmit the '.' or 11 (hex) out the serial port, is there a way of switching this off so as the controller doesnt have to continuously ignore it?

Being honest I don't know if the problem is with the C-Touch or PCI but it is fairly obviously a software issue, or rather more likely a programming issue as I havent done C-Bus installation in a while. I guess this is the best way of asking this question

Is there a reason why the PCI, on receiving a message over the C-Bus network, will not transmit that message out over the serial port?

I'm probably missing something simple here.

Hoping someone may know what the issue is,

thanks,

rob

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
    brathnach, Aug 17, 2007
  2. brathnach

brathnach

Sorry,

Just after noticing that if I press a button on one of the Saturn switches, the lights ramp on etc. However the Unit/Comms LED on the PCI doesnt flash, Which I am sure it should, shouldnt it??

The PCI is between the Switches and the DIN Dimmer on C-Bus so it has to be getting the message through it on the C-Bus. Toolkit works perfectly! Im confused!! MMI is enabled. Can the serial port reporting be enabled/disabled somehow?

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007
    brathnach, Aug 18, 2007
  3. brathnach

ashleigh Moderator

Devices that use the PCI program its settings according to their needs.

When you use Toolkit, it sets the PCI into the combination of modes that it wants, if you connect to it afterwards you get whatever settings had been put in there.

Effectively you are getting the left-overs.

If you have the public release protocol document, USE THE PCI SETUP !!!

If you use the setup strings as recommended, every time your controller starts, then you will have placed the PCI into a known state where it will give you the information you need, and it won't bombard you with '.' characters.

Read section 4.2 of the public release carefully.

If you are sharing a PCI and rely on hot plugging you have a bigger problem with probably only one easy solution: If you do as I suggest, then when you plug the PCI into your controller you will need to re-start your controller.

Note also that if you then unplug your controller and plug into a PC running Toolkit, you will need to restart toolkit, otherwise it will have had its settings (in the PCI) changed under its feet and it won't like you much for doing so.

ashleigh, Aug 18, 2007
  4. brathnach

brathnach

Ashleigh,

Many thanks for your help. I was concentrating on section 4.2 probably a bit too hard. However, I guess I may as well let it be known how I actually sorted the problem.

As I said I did send it the initialisation commands as stated in 4.2. However, after the final command is send to set MMI to on, I got back a whole load of gibberish (to me!)- not a simple confirmation as with the first two strings. There is no confirmation string stated in the Public Release so I didnt know whether it was right or wrong.

Either way, I opened up the C-Bus Diagnostic Utility and in the Set PC Interface Mode section > Power Up Settings I noticed that none of the boxes were ticked and so I clicked on Reset Defaults and the PCI sends out commands over the serial port once again. I have never used the Diagnostic Utility before so I dont have any idea how these 'Connect' or 'SMART' settings got switched off.

However it may be helpful to have it here if anyone experiences similar.

Thanks again ashleigh and keep up the good work.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
    brathnach, Aug 19, 2007
Ask a Question